Saison Lace & Pearls Spelt Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY3726
Yeast Starter
900 mL (pitch at 75 million cells/mL)
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 hours @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
free rise to 78 after 12 hours, held 3 days
Additional Fermentation
2.5 more weeks at 75
Tasting Notes
nice farmhouse character, nutty/seabreeze aroma and taste, fantastic beer
49.5% Castle Pils - 6 lb
30.9% Spelt - 3.75 lb
4.1% Flaked oats - 8 0z
3.1% caramunich III - 6 oz
1 lb clear candi sugar (boil 10 min)
4.2% rice hulls - 8 oz

mash at 148 for 90 minutes

Ca/Mg/Na/SO4/Cl-/HCO3
41/5/15/94/43/0

3.2 mL lactic acid to mash
mash pH = 5.16

2 oz styrian goldings 3.7% 90 min 20.2 IBU
0.5 oz Saaz 2.9% 60 min 3.7 IBU
0.3 oz EKG 6.6% 30 min 3.9 IBU
1 oz saaz 3.6% 10 min 3.3 IBU
1 oz saax 3.6% steep 10 min 1.7 IBU

This beer was inspired by the spelt recipe from Farmhouse Ales, as well as the Hill Farmstead/Brassiere Blaugies collaboration spelt saison. I emailed hill farmstead for any tips on the recipe, and they mentioned that it was brewed in Belgium, so they didn't have much knowledge of the process. They did give a thumbs up to my recipe, though.

I'll also say that after 6 years of brewing, that this is probably the only beer I've made where every single person that tried it, really loved it, even people that are not Belgian beer fans. Its super drinkable and really nicely balanced, even for such a relatively high OG/IBU (for a saison, at least). My biggest critic (SWMBO) even loved it, as did all her friends.

I wanted to put this out there because there didn't seem to be many spelt saison recipes on the site, IIRC. This one is definitely a keeper if you like a nice solid saison, I make a lot of them and this is one of the best I've made.

Thanks for the recipe!

Summer is a saison season for me and spelt has been on my radar for a while, so I will give your recipe a try.

I noticed your pH being a bit low, did you target 5.16 on purpose and wouldn't that make the saison a bit acidic?

The pH was a bit lower than I typically shoot for (5.25ish), but there was no acidity to this beer. I think it helped make it really crisp and refreshing. You can really crush this one too, I drank a whole growler of it no problem one night.

Sounds like you have a winner. What kind of spelt did you use in the beer? Malted? Flaked? Crushed?

Back