Labor Day Weekend 2008 - What's in Your Kettle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I'm going to whip up an IPA with a lot of Simcoe and Columbus. I've been going crazy with wit's lately... need something hoppy :D

I did 10 gallons of Oktoberfest Ale and while it was brewing, I picked my Cascades hops plants... cones are drying in the back shed. Will be kegging an ESB & barleywine, transferring a brown ale to secondary and cleaning out some carboys and kegs before the weekend is over.

Sunday its a trip to Long Trail brewery for beer-battered onion rings & Triple Bag on tap.:mug:

AND I have anniversary gift bottles of Black Sheep Riggwelter Yorkshire Ale and La Fin Du Monde to sample.

Almost enough good stuff to make me forget that yet another school year has begun:(

I'm brewing a clone of Highland Gaelic Ale on Monday. Looking forward to having it ready for some football weekends and Thanksgiving.

Just finished up the IPA. Got a late start so the wheat beer will be tommorrow morning.

Making Cake's Stout.

Threw together a bunch of stuff I had on-hand with the intentions of making a nice dark beer.

Coming along nicely. Last 15 minutes of the boil now.

I brewed an Imperial Stout today. It was MoreBeer's Imperial Stout AG kit. Eighteen+ pounds of grain.

I'll be setting this aside until around Christmas.

Wee heavy yesterday. I went with the "caramelization" technique with only one burner and a large partial mash (7.25 lbs of grain). I used the first wort. It was a long %&*@ day.

Tomorrow I'm brewing My psrtigyle Pumpkin Recipe. I drafted a buddy to help. While we were coordinating it he invited me to brew at his place where he has an actual yard and a BBQ.... So we'll throw some steaks on the grill, drink beer, brew and talk treason.

(I said I'd bring up the venison steaks I have in my freezer.)

All in all it will be a good day!

I may even try to whip up biermuncher's sparge bucket to use.

I wish I could spend more time just enjoying the holiday. Got a lot to do around the house, and I'm so far behind at work I brought some home with me.
Be that as it may, I've got a Pilsner that's been doing a D-rest for two days that will be going into secondary today. I'm really hoping that tomorrow I can get my Amber Lager/Octoberfest brewed. Of course, this late in the game it won't be ready until November. Maybe I can press it into service for Halloween. heh

No immersion chiller yet, but next weekend, hope to do my first AG, a wheat/rye ale.

Sadly, nothing. However, the reasons are good. My parents are in town for one. Second, I've decided to go pick up another chest freezer for a fermentation chamber. I already have a temp controller on order for my keezer, so I can use that one as I won't be keg-ready quite yet anyway. No brewing until then - probably next week.

Huckleberry blonde . . . with fresh Tollgate huckleberries. Mmmmmmmm . . .

Also going to mix up some of Edwort's apfelwein (sp?) this afternoon. First time.

Bottled an ordinary bitter yesterday and brewed a batch of Shed Mountain Ale (seems like a Black American Ale if such a thing existed) this morning. And now I'm officially out of room in my fermentation freezer so that'll be it for a few weeks.

Finished my wheat beer this afternoon. I'll make sure I insist on rice hulls next time even if the LHBS owner says I don't need them. Even better yet, I got closer to 70% efficiency (probably all the damn stirring I did).

not brewing this weekend, but we did venture down to the lake to watch the blue angels. great show if you like screaming jet engines! the highlight for me however, was the p-51 flying in formation with an f-16 and f-15, and two tall ships we got on for free, the uss brig niagra(reproduction 1812 brig) and a vessel out of baltimore.

I have my entire system tore apart working on re-tooling the control panel, but one way or another, I AM brewing this weekend. Probably something simple though - I haven't been in the mood for anything dark or heavy in some time...

Welp, it is taking way longer to put my new control panel together than expected as I decided to paint my entire stand at the same time. Unfortunately its been really humid and rainly and the damn paint has taken forever to dry. So it doesn't look like I will be brewing anything... damnit. Oh well, good thing I have 55 gallons in the pipeline, chillin in the walk-in cooler. :mug:

I've got Steve M's Raspberry Ale cooking right now. As soon as the pot dries, I am starting an Octoberfest. Does it still count if you start it in October and its not ready until November?

I brewed another batch of the Fat Tire Clone from the BYO clone issue. It really tastes nothing like Fat Tire, but is a helluva beer, had to make another batch.

Brewed a Chimay White clone on Sunday. I have an Oktoberfest that has been at 40 degrees for a month. Just noticed I'm running low on Haus Pale Ale.

I just finished up an unscheduled 10-gallons of my Cream of Three Crops. Turns out we had a steady stream of unscheduled guests through the house this weekend and managed to polish off the remainder of my C-3-C and a half keg of my wit.

4.25 hours from crush to clean up.

Man I like brewing low gravity beers...:D

The Partigyle Pumpkin was a (s)mashing success!!!!! And surprisingly with a buddy it didn't take long at all....We started around 11 am and pitched the second beer's yeast shortly before 4 pm....

The drank, and ate grilled chicken, grilled venison that I marinated in an ancho chile marinade, and fresh sweet corn!!!

Great day!

Nothing brewed this weekend. I had plans for an Oatmeal Stout but I ended up spending the day with my nephew, his wife, and their new (3 week old) baby girl who were home while escaping Hurricane Gustav. They just evacuated 14 hours north from their home in New Orleans.

Yuri's Thunderstruck is popular this weekend. Finished mine about five hours ago. Messy, but well worth it if the hydro sample is any indication.

Must give a shout out to Soulive. His unfortunate departure from brewing helped me out. He gave me a good deal on an SQ-14 burner (worked great), an IC (boiling to 80 degreess in 15 minutes) and a BB (full of Oxyclean at the moment). Picked them all up yesterday on a trip to Jersey, thus bringing my total of HBT members met to a whopping 1.

I feel like I've taken a wallet off a dead man. I'm grateful, to say the least. Thanks, Soulive.

Who else did any brewing this past weekend? I did an ESB on Sunday and then an American brown ale on Monday. A buddy on mine came over with a bottle of Blushing Monk from Founders and it was very tasty.

Back