Labels - Critique Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanting some friendly critiquing on these labels before I produce them. They're going on 22oz and 12oz bottles (I'll enlarge them for the 22oz'ers).

Label_BlondeAle.jpg

Label_PumpkinSpice.jpg

Looks like they're showing up with color replacements going on...there's no teal in the logo originally. I didn't use web safe colors, so if you save them and open them on your computer, you'll see the real coloring.

Looks great. Can you fill up the rectangle with the graphic? It seems like there's too much of the striped background. Some of the details of the fancy font seem obscured too. For example, the curly decorations on the letters appear as white, while the letters themselves show up as black. Can you add a grey shadow between the black letters and white background to help it stand out?

I changed the labels a bit, taking the advice of some of your responses and some other changes based on personal preference.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Label_BlondeAle2.jpg

Label_PumpkinSpice2.jpg

Very solid. The only thing I'd change is the opacity on the outer glow for the pumpkins. Maybe even do away with it all together, it looks too 'forced' or something. Or maybe I'm just too damn picky.

Great labels ThreeTaps. One suggestion would be to use a lighter color for "Three Taps Brewing" or keep the black font and go with a lighter banner. More contrast there, however you do it, would help, in my opinion.

Very solid. The only thing I'd change is the opacity on the outer glow for the pumpkins. Maybe even do away with it all together, it looks too 'forced' or something. Or maybe I'm just too damn picky.

I agree, however it's better than the alternative: the clipart comes with a slight inconsistent white edging surrounding the entire image (they saved it as a jpg instead of a png) and I don't feel like taking an eraser to the entire edge, nor do I want to lose other image pieces by contracting a surrounding selection by 2 pixels and deleting. So, the glow helps this out. I don't really care for it much, but since it's only one batch (for now), yeah.

Thanks for the other suggestions, everybody. I'll play around with the font and banner colors.

Oh yeah. I am going to try and use 3.5 x 5 avery labels to answer your question you asked on my post

Much better. I like the halo effect. It helps the graphic stand out from the background.

Alright, since most of you wanted to see an extra graphic on the Blonde Ale, here it is (my wife!). I couldn't think of anything else to put...and since my wife is a blonde...well...

It's not as professional as the others, but is has a comical personal effect to it.
I'm also adding my Cherry Wheat label.

Label_BlondeAle2.jpg

Label_CherryWheat.jpg

Label_PumpkinSpice2.jpg

Thanks!

Mind you, none of these have actually finished yet...the blonde ale is still fermenting in primary and the other two haven't been started. haha.

Now that I see it again, I need to increase the text size of the pumpkin spice ale. It looks small in comparison.

Back