Label Remover....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randzor

Reaction score
Anyone know a simple way or removing labels off used cans? I have around 60 that I need to take off, so something semi fast would be nice.

Best thing I have found is put them in a sink full of water and baking soda. Let soak for 24-48 hours and most of the labels just fall off. Some are stubborn but that has worked best for me on wine bottles.

I don't even add any baking soda most just floats up the next day

Used cans???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't get the can thingy either but I'm always soaking labels of 20 oz ers and I like 11 oz ers for dense beers. I use a little vinegar in a sink full of water. Still I have run into brands that were so stubborn that I pulled them out of the sink and stuck them in recycling bin out of frustration.

I've found a day or two soaking in PBW takes them right off. I have a 5 gallon bucket that I keep filled with the solution and it has never let me down.

Oxyclean and water, soak overnight and they fall right off in most cases.

Usually about 20 minutes in hot soapy water has worked great for me. You'll find some breweries use better glue than others. In fact I ran into one that I think was somehow fused into the glass. It got thrown away.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I use homemade pbw. 2/3 scent-free Oxiclean and 1/3 Red Devil TSP 90. I have only had to throw away a couple of bottles since using this cleaner. I have a large container fill with the solution (one scoop per 8 or 10 gallons). Soak a week or so and then I remove the labels and put them in a container of water. I will put in a clear bottle with each new batch of solution to see if there is residue. So far, no residue.

Just discovered...hot water for about 5 mins scrape off paper label, I use an old plastic card.

Then you can wipe the glue off with vegetable oil, then wipe the oil off with soapy water.

Dead easy.

These suggestions work well for plain paper labels.. but, I'm running into some labels that have a plastic film on them.. and to boot. they have a gummy glue on them. I have to remove all that with paint thinner on a green scrubby followed by a soap to clean that up.

If it is a true paper style label...then soaking in hot soapy water will work....it may take a good long soak. If there is glue involved this method will work. Now if we are talking painted on...then that is a whole new ballgame. What is the brand name that is giving you the biggest headache?

I started brewing in mid January and have been sourcing my bottles from Sam Adams 12 packs. The first spin I gave them in the dishwasher heated the bottles and made the labels just slide off when removing. Only a few labels actually came off in the machine, be careful not to clog your dishwasher drain with labels, it will make a mess. I didnt use a heated dry either in fear the glue would just re-adhere.

.. and to boot. they have a gummy glue on them. I have to remove all that with paint thinner on a green scrubby followed by a soap to clean that up.

Vegetable oil should remove that "genetically modified whale snot" as someone on here referred to it. Less of an arse and cheaper than paint thinner, although you do have to wash it off with soap and water after.

Latest posts

Back