Label help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
Is there any good programs for label making?? I'm going to be bottling soon and thought why not go all out and throw on my own custom label. Any info on how to start this would be greatly appreciated.

I use labels from onlinelablels.com. There is a PSD template there that you can edit in photoshop (or similar program). Then you print them out on your own printer, quality is surprisingly good.

Sample label using this method.

I then "top it off", so to speak, with custom caps from bottlemark.com.

homebrewdad said:
I use labels from onlinelablels.com. There is a PSD template there that you can edit in photoshop (or similar program). Then you print them out on your own printer, quality is surprisingly good.

Sample label using this method.

I then "top it off", so to speak, with custom caps from bottlemark.com.

I'll take a look thanks

I use onlinelabels.com as well. Just bought a batch of 3x4 removable labels so while they won't work well in a cooler they should come off easily enough without too much fuss. Bought in bulk to drive the price down.

I used andybiggs program and it works pretty good. All you do is make your label, then print it out, cut it out. Then use a little bit of milk to attach your label to the bottle. The milk works surprisingly well. Here's a pic. of one of my bottles.

FirstBrew010.jpg

FirstBrew011.jpg

Kevin

Screech said:
I used andybiggs program and it works pretty good. All you do is make your label, then print it out, cut it out. Then use a little bit of milk to attach your label to the bottle. The milk works surprisingly well. Here's a pic. of one of my bottles.

Kevin

Looks real good. You said milk...like moo milk?? How does milk act as an adhesive?

HibsMax said:
I use onlinelabels.com as well. Just bought a batch of 3x4 removable labels so while they won't work well in a cooler they should come off easily enough without too much fuss. Bought in bulk to drive the price down.

Removable? Is that just so you can reuse the bottles with out glue and paper stuck to it. Or can you reuse the label?

Looks real good. You said milk...like moo milk?? How does milk act as an adhesive?

Yes regular old milk. I guess it evaporates and leaves an adhesive. Easy to get off and sticks very well. Also, it was free. Minus the price of a sheet of paper, ink, and a couple drops of milk.

Kevin

Removable? Is that just so you can reuse the bottles with out glue and paper stuck to it. Or can you reuse the label?

I'll let you know once I've tried them, they should be arriving any day now. They use a less aggressive adhesive but I don't know if that means that once you rip them off they're done. I wasn't thinking about reusing them, I was just thinking about the ease / quickness of removing them.

I've used labely in the past. It's free and easy but hard to do anything fancy. I downloaded the label and then fixed it up to fit on an Microsoft Word outline for the name tag sticker paper you can buy almost anywhere. Those rectangles are just about the right size for a label and they are cheap to buy

Smokin Warrior Stout Label.jpg

cmybeer said:
I've used labely in the past. It's free and easy but hard to do anything fancy. I downloaded the label and then fixed it up to fit on an Microsoft Word outline for the name tag sticker paper you can buy almost anywhere. Those rectangles are just about the right size for a label and they are cheap to buy

That's pretty good too. I see that I have some research and planning to do

Got the labels tonight so obviously these results are not conclusive. I didn't expose the labels to moisture or temperature differences. Anyway, I was able to attach and reattach a label to an empty, room temperature bottle about 10 times before I got bored. Still seemed sticky enough to reuse. I wouldn't try to stick it on a sheet and try to reprint on it though. Lol.

HibsMax said:
Got the labels tonight so obviously these results are not conclusive. I didn't expose the labels to moisture or temperature differences. Anyway, I was able to attach and reattach a label to an empty, room temperature bottle about 10 times before I got bored. Still seemed sticky enough to reuse. I wouldn't try to stick it on a sheet and try to reprint on it though. Lol.

Nice thanks for the update. Keep me informed if they hold up.

So i created some quick labels...thoughts on which one is the best... a little cheesey i know.

Dragon1.png

IPAlady2.png

Dragon2.png

Ah! You stole my bottom line from my label!

Just kidding, I'm sure I'm not the first person to do something like that 100% (whatever). I dig the red one; it would look sharp on a nice brown bottle. Any reasoning behind the dragon, or the other picture other than they look cool? Just curious

JohnnyP I like the 2nd label. Its pretty classy. Also, what program did you use to do the labels?

Kevin

cmybeer said:
Ah! You stole my bottom line from my label!

Just kidding, I'm sure I'm not the first person to do something like that 100% (whatever). I dig the red one; it would look sharp on a nice brown bottle. Any reasoning behind the dragon, or the other picture other than they look cool? Just curious

Ya I liked your 100% thing it flows really nice I was going to say thanks but didn't think of it. These are just something to throw on so the bottles are not naked. I used to draw dragon and fantasy art for a hobby and a local tattoo shop just the first thing I thought of. Needed something quick.

Screech said:
JohnnyP I like the 2nd label. Its pretty classy. Also, what program did you use to do the labels?

Kevin

I used labely. It's free. I searched for other programs some said they were free but was misleading and wanted to charge anyways. This program was the only one that was the easiest to use but I had a bit of a time getting what I wanted down. Alot of trial and error learning the program. Toughest part was with the images I was using. Size position ect...
I always liked that drawing dunno what place it has on a beer bottle lol but I'm going with it. I figure I'll do a mix of each label.

Ok I just used Labely and that is a great program. You can do pretty much anything on it. Now I have a couple questions. How do I scale this picture to size? Then how do I transfer to a word document printing 6 labels per page? I have a .jpg and .png file of it right now. Thanks for any advice.

HopAboardIPA.png
[/IMG]

Kevin

Now I have a couple questions. How do I scale this picture to size? Then how do I transfer to a word document printing 6 labels per page? I have a .jpg and .png file of it right now. Thanks for any advice.

Kevin

Hmmmm....now the question is of course how did I go about doing it. I know it was a bit of a pain in the ass because I don't know much about Word formatting beyond typing papers and for some reason they make it damn near impossible to place pics where you want them. I used one of their name tag label formats and then I think I converted that picture to clip art and somehow got it to fit in there nicely....Wow, that was probably no help to you at all...

Just play around with it when you have some free time.

Screech said:
Ok I just used Labely and that is a great program. You can do pretty much anything on it. Now I have a couple questions. How do I scale this picture to size? Then how do I transfer to a word document printing 6 labels per page? I have a .jpg and .png file of it right now. Thanks for any advice.

[/IMG]

Kevin

I found It difficult to add a picture that took up the entire label. So I added the pic to the ribbon and text section which looked better and gave you the labels I showed you. But in order for it to take up the entire labor I use photo bucket and scaled the size. I also use ms paint. It was trail and error. You should be able to put up to 5 on the print screen or create it on a ms program cutting and pasting 5 to a page.

Screech said:

[/IMG]

Kevin

Also if you need help (I enjoy helping) give me what you would like as far as words and a drawing idea and I'll se what I can come up with

Nice thanks for the update. Keep me informed if they hold up.

Here's the latest info I can give you:
1. the labels hold up well on bottles but as soon as they get wet they pretty much come off.
2. following on from point 1, the labels are very easy to remove.
3. the labels don't work so great on cardboard. sure they stick but they tend to peel off quite easily, like at the corners - which is not a bad thing since I want to replace those when I put new brews in the case anyway.

Thumbs up from me.

HibsMax said:
Here's the latest info I can give you:
1. the labels hold up well on bottles but as soon as they get wet they pretty much come off.
2. following on from point 1, the labels are very easy to remove.
3. the labels don't work so great on cardboard. sure they stick but they tend to peel off quite easily, like at the corners - which is not a bad thing since I want to replace those when I put new brews in the case anyway.

Thumbs up from me.

Nice thanks for the update. I used inkjet first and applied with a glue stick worked great but any condensation made the ink run. Next I used laser jet which was leaps and bounds better in quality and to boot the colors didn't run when wet. Bumped my cost per bottle around 20 cents.

Back