Kviek Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattman91

Reaction score
So, I’m planning on brewing my first attempt with Kviek. My fermentation chamber currently doubles as a kegerator and I already have something on tap. I really want to brew a beer for Easter but do not have a way to control temperature so I figured I may as well try Kviek.

questions:

• I’m brewing a simple ipa with golden promise, red x, chit and hopping with Strata. Would Lutra be a good option? I need to use a dry version of whatever I go with.
  • I have read that Kviek can lower pH. What should I target my mash pH for to account for this?
  • I hear that around 90 is a good temp to pitch at. If that is the case, If left at room temp in a corny keg, when should I dry hop? How many days will it take to cool down? I don’t want to dry hop it too hot.
  • Is a diacetyl rest needed with Kviek? I have read mixed opinions.
  • Not really yeast related, but I’ll ask anyway, any advice on how to dry hop in the keg without introducing too much oxygen? I’ve thought about purging with CO2 and then tossing in quickly with some ascorbic acid. I’ll throw them in loosely as I have a filtered floating dip tube.

I would use Voss for an IPA and I pitch at ~86* ,wrap it in a couple blankets and by morning it's at 90*+. One went to 96*.
If you want a clean ale(not even close to a lager) I'd go with Lutra. I've taken it from 64* pitch and climb to 72* in 3 days ,let finish in primary 14 days. You don't even need to cold crash Lutra cause it just drops. All my Kveik beers are better after 3-4 weeks conditioning,2 of those in the lagerator at 33*

questions:
  • I have only use Voss myself. I find the orange character to be a nice addition to hoppy styles, but you have to account for that in your recipe design. I am curious about using Lutra as a substitute for a more "clean ale" strain like Chico, but I think Lutra would be a fine choice.
  • I have not targeted my mash pH differently, though I am not sure I could tell the difference between a 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5 pH mash beer.
  • I would expect that by day 3-4 your beer will be close to room temp. I have generally used a heating mat to keep my beer hot for the first few days, then gave it a day to cool down to room temp before dry hopping.
  • Given the hot fermentation temps, I don't think you need a diacetyl rest.
  • No real experience here, but your plan seems fine.

[*]Not really yeast related, but I’ll ask anyway, any advice on how to dry hop in the keg without introducing too much oxygen? I’ve thought about purging with CO2 and then tossing in quickly with some ascorbic acid. I’ll throw them in loosely as I have a filtered floating dip tube.
[/LIST]

Do a "starsan purge" prior to filling keg. Buy one (or a few) mesh container for the keg/dry hops. Quickly add it to the keg prior to filling. You can try purging again if you want (after adding hops). I use 5 oz in these. Have an IPA at 7 weeks and still burst with aroma/flavor.

EDIT: Just read you have a filter. I would try adding them (quickly) right after a starsan purge.

3QRfb9M.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2F4BM...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I have used Lutra in a Sierra Nevada pale ale -ish beer (2 row and C60) with Cascade and Ahtanum. It was one of my best so far. I pitched around 90°F. Yeast character was clean, so I would say it's a good substitute/alternative to Chico.

Latest posts

Back