Kveik yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaboil

Reaction score
Wow.This is my first batch of cider. Hornindal strain I collected from a previous batch of neipa. Two hours after I pitched 2 tbls of yeast there is already some action. This yeast is incredible. Cannot wait to see how this turns out.

Last edited:
Cannot wait to see how this turns out.
Well it must have finished out by now, what do you think?

Joking aside, what temp are you fermenting at? Don't be afraid to really ramp it up, it won't throw flavors. I use both hornindal and Voss strains, both are amazing. A friend of mine uses hornindal to make meads, they finish quick and taste pretty good though he does tend to age them quite a while.

Well it must have finished out by now, what do you think?

Joking aside, what temp are you fermenting at? Don't be afraid to really ramp it up, it won't throw flavors. I use both hornindal and Voss strains, both are amazing. A friend of mine uses hornindal to make meads, they finish quick and taste pretty good though he does tend to age them quite a while.

80 degrees. My basement is cold and all I have to heat it is a fermawrap. I took a hydrometer reading this morning went from .050 to .030 in 12 hours. Didn’t have time to check it tonight but will do first thing tomorrow morning.

Any idea how much the blend of stains changes when re-pitching?
Also, is Omega hothead a blend?

Im trying to figure out if it drifts at all. Ive gone 3 or 4 generations and haven’t really noticed. Words of wisdom say to top crop to maintain the original culture but not easy to do in my carboys. Im losing interest in Hornindal. Sometimes get that caramel note which i dont like. Works ok in a APA but odd in a West Coast IPA.

Never use hothead but thought it was a pure single strain.

80 degrees. My basement is cold and all I have to heat it is a fermawrap. I took a hydrometer reading this morning went from .050 to .030 in 12 hours. Didn’t have time to check it tonight but will do first thing tomorrow morning.

Yeast pitch 8 pm 2/11/20. OG .050.
Final gravity 2/14/20 Friday 8:00 am .008
60 hours [emoji12]

Im trying to figure out if it drifts at all. Ive gone 3 or 4 generations and haven’t really noticed. Words of wisdom say to top crop to maintain the original culture but not easy to do in my carboys. Im losing interest in Hornindal. Sometimes get that caramel note which i dont like. Works ok in a APA but odd in a West Coast IPA.

Top cropping is subjective to the kveik strain. There's a page buried deep somewhere on Larsblog that talks about how each brewer harvests each yeast. Voss, for instance, is always bottom harvested. Some of the others are top cropped, but it depends on the strain. I'll try to find the link as it isn't easy to find on his website.

Edit: Here's the link http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/farmhouse/kveik.html#kv1

Last edited:
I top crop Hornindal by way of the blow off tube. I collect it in a sanitized jar with distilled water. Works great

I just finished a gen 4, didn't notice much of a difference, but it did seem to be a little slower than the first 3 gens by a day or two

Back