Kveik Research

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been reading and listening up on Kveik yeasts. They are very interesting to me. I am looking to brew with one but would like some usage opinions before picking a strain. I am more of a West Coast fan than an East Coast fan, so that would be my first preference. I listened to a Basic Brewing episode about Imperial's Loki strain. I liked how it was relatively clean. So, I guess I am not looking for over the top anything, more of a Cal-Ale+

Thinking of a Centennial blonde type of beer but with some more going on than usual.

Any opinions about yeast providers and their strains? Seems like they are all going to be different. I only have access to Omega, Wyeast and the dried Lalbrew.

Thanks for your input!

I’ve made blonde ales with dried Voss and cascade. Went well. Really like it. A lot goes a long way. You can pitch a little and reuse slurry a few times then get more dry for a batch and repeat. Some use it 5 times or more. I think the Voss went well with the citrusy type hops. I made one with some saaz and it was good with that too

Thanks. Did some reading on Milk the Funk and Lars blog about Kveik. It appears Omega Voss and the Lallemand strain are both Voss Kveik. As is Loki from Imperial Organic yeast. I say same strain but they are probably all different. I think I will try Voss for my first attempt as it is known for citrus as opposed to Hornindal which appears to be known for pineapple.

Thanks. Did some reading on Milk the Funk and Lars blog about Kveik. It appears Omega Voss and the Lallemand strain are both Voss Kveik. As is Loki from Imperial Organic yeast. I say same strain but they are probably all different. I think I will try Voss for my first attempt as it is known for citrus as opposed to Hornindal which appears to be known for pineapple.

I doubt there is much difference between the Omega, Imperial, and even the Lallemand strains of Voss. Like all kveiks, Voss is the result of many generations of reuse and is robust almost beyond imagining. It just doesn't drift much. You can expect to get the classic orange-peel character, and perhaps stone fruit as well, from any of those strains. It certainly does play very well with citrusy hops!

Thanks. This family of yeast seems like a great area for the dried yeast makers. Would be cool if they discovered a lager Kveik as well. Looking forward to giving Voss a try.

Thanks. This family of yeast seems like a great area for the dried yeast makers. Would be cool if they discovered a lager Kveik as well. Looking forward to giving Voss a try.
Many kveik can be dried and were stored and shared that way for generations. Of course, it wasn’t as easy as that for Lallemand to do that with Voss.

This is a clean top fermenting yeast. Lutra™ Kveik | Omega Yeast

All kveiks are S. cerevisiae, so "true lager kveik" is an oxymoron. I'm not a lager fan so haven't tried it, but many people have reported success at making pseudo-lagers with certain kveiks at moderate temperatures. But just like any other yeast-defined style, a kveik is only going to approximate the result you want. They aren't chameleon yeasts that mimic other strains, any more than any other yeast is.

Thanks. I mean an actual lager strain sacchromyces patorianus. This would be great for pitch rates and fermentation time.
May I suggest you check out warm fermented lagers under pressure. (Using a spunding valve) A way to ferment at ale temps with lager yeasts. Still not as warm as kveik, however.

Back