Kveik Hard Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkEastover

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, not sure where this question belongs so I will ask my question here and if anyone has a better location i hope they will suggest it. Has anyone used Kveik yeast to make hard lemonade? I have run out of my current batch and SWMBO is requesting a refill as soon as possible. TIA

It seems like a good experiment to try, the kveik yeast is reported to be a beast and works great at warmer temperatures with no off flavors, so mix up a batch, get it warm and report back.

I am new to this site. Was looking for an easy and simple hard lemonade recipe. I know these types of seltzers or lemonades are not considered true brewing, but my husband has cancer. The few things he still enjoys are the fizzy lemonades/wine coolers. Our budget is tight, so I thought maybe I could make a batch. Any ideas, recipes or input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi JDTH, and welcome. Sorry to hear that your husband has cancer. Hope the doctors can keep this under control.

Always best to create a new thread with a question that is not related to the original post but at the risk of continuing to hijack MarkEastover's thread a simple alcoholic lemonade recipe can be found on the web and in this forum under the name of skeeter pee . It uses three bottles of Real Lemon Juice (96 oz) and enough sugar to make a wine of about 10 -12 % ABV (or about 7 -10 lbs) . The lemon juice is very acidic so it is best , in my opinion, to begin with one bottle in 4.5 gallons of water. then when you see this fermenting well, you add the second bottle and then a little later the 3rd bottle. You also want to add yeast nutrient as the lemon juice really has very little.
Now as with all lemon drinks this will need to be sweetened before you ferment this so you will want to stabilize the wine. You might want to add about 1- 1.5 lbs of sugar to sweeten it.
The problem with stabilizing and sweetening is that you need to kill the yeast so the wine cannot be sparkling BUT if you have a carbonating tool like Sodastream you can carbonate each bottle in a sodastream bottle.

Last summer I tried Lalbrew Voss dry yeast for hard lemonade/Skeeter pee hydromel. It came out great. I lost my notes(never save important things in phones SD card), but I think that it was something like this:
10l water;
1l lemon juice;
1.4 kg honey;
Zest from 4 lemons;
100 ml black tea from 1 or 2 teabags;
Fermaid E amount according to Tosna calculator;
All in day 0;
30C
Fermented in 4 days, racked and bottled on day 10.
Back sweetened with erythritol and bottle carbonated.

I am new to this site. Was looking for an easy and simple hard lemonade recipe. I know these types of seltzers or lemonades are not considered true brewing, but my husband has cancer. The few things he still enjoys are the fizzy lemonades/wine coolers. Our budget is tight, so I thought maybe I could make a batch. Any ideas, recipes or input would be greatly appreciated.

I've recently made this one, not quite as strong as the Skeeter Pee recommended by the others. The page also has a full description of how to go about fermenting it and what to expect as well as a discussion on carbonation (making it fizzy) either in a bottle or a keg.

https://brewtogether.com/2019/07/13/lemonade/
Given your budget constraints, I'd suggest following the bottled suggestions using 32 or 64 oz plastic soda bottles. You can reuse them as long as you wash them out properly and they can contain a lot of pressure if you make a mistake with the carbonation process. Glass can explode.

I use fresh lemon juice, we get pockets of lemons here in South Africa for the equivalent of $3 that yield about 64oz of lemon juice when squeezed. Works as well as the bottled juice and cheaper as far as our pricing is concerned.

Hi , I hope everything is still ok🙏 and you had success making hard lemonade. After years, I stopped all the complex steps about sweetening at the end . You simply bottle it...and use sugar water as ice cubes when you serve in a glass!! Its far far easier and you dont put all that extra stuff in your drink...

Back