Krausen Cake Won't Settle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloBrewing

Reaction score
Cheers fellow lovers of beers. So I brewed a Nut Brown Ale last Saturday and the fermentation was quite vigorous (coming up into the air lock). I've read this is a common problem so I'm not all that worried about it, BUT...ever since Saturday night (its now 6 days later!) the foam has been built up in the top of the carboy and is showing no signs of settling. This is only my second brew so maybe its also common but my first brew a few weeks ago (Bock), settled normally and the foam dissipated after 3-4 days or so. I was planning on bottling this weekend but I feel I should wait till I get your replies on this matter. So basically, is this a problem???

Sounds like happy yeast. Leave it alone for at least another week.

If you're happy with the abv and flavor..start to drop the temps and cold crash it for a few days...that usually clears thongs up and helps to settle the kreusen/co2 foam/suspended yeast...some yeast strains tend to be more stubborn and take their sweet time....enjoy

Whoa...nice catch 'hope'...just re-read the post....at least let it do its thing for another week.before the cold crash...my bad..old eyes I guess

I have 2 beers I brewed on 1-25. Both around the same OG and pitched the same yeast, s-05 hydrated 1 pack for each brew. As of last night 1 has the Krausen dropped the other has not. Just goes to show you ever fermentation is different and be patient all will be ok with some time.

Thanks for some ideas guys, I guess I will do the deed and just wait. In my early affair with homebrewing, I'm surely finding patience to be the most difficult mistress.

If you're happy with the abv and flavor..start to drop the temps and cold crash it for a few days...that usually clears thongs up and helps to settle the kreusen/co2 foam/suspended yeast...some yeast strains tend to be more stubborn and take their sweet time....enjoy

So chill to drop the yeast while there is still sugar to be fermented? Then bottle while there is still sugar to be fermented, while adding more sugar, and then letting it warm up to let the yeast become active again? Can you say bottle bombs?

My apologies...I would never lead a fellow brewer to bottle bombs... I misread where you were in the fermentation...although outside of the sarcasm in the thread there is quite a bit of valid and useful direction if used in conjunction with your individual process....

This is what my current one looked like on day 11. By day 14, it started to fall and get clear. Those bubbles like to stick around for awhile. This is without cold crashing. eventually it will fall, but on rare occasions a little swirl helps after three weeks or so.

ForumRunner_20120212_105216.jpg

Back