Kosher brewing... specifically, clarifying agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, we have several customers who require kosher ingredients. Some are of course Jewish, some are vegan/vegetarian and others are simply allergic to shellfish and do not want to risk a reaction.

Here is what I have come to understand so far:

Isinglass is sturgeon swim bladder based. sturgeon have scales, and fins, therefore I believe it is kosher? it is not vegan/vegetarian but may be ok for shellfish allergies.

K.C. finings are kieselsol & Chitosan which come from shellfish, therefore not Kosher nor vegan, veggie & allergy friendly.

Bentonite is volcanic ash, which is ok for all concerned in the above matters

Sparkolloid is the one that I am most unsure of. It lists Diatomite & Alginate polysaccharide. The diatomite i believe is just more clay. The Alginate I believe is crushed fossilized algae cells, but am unsure, and if so, are they kosher? would that be considered ok for all the vegan/veggie and allergy crowd?

Any solid information is greatly appreciated!

Your info is correct. Sparkaloid shoulld meet your vegan/veggie needs. I don't claim to know much about what is kosher though. Hope that helps. :)

Isinglass is sturgeon swim bladder based. sturgeon have scales, and fins, therefore I believe it is kosher? it is not vegan/vegetarian but may be ok for shellfish allergies.

K.C. finings are kieselsol & Chitosan which come from shellfish...

Sparkolloid is the one that I am most unsure of. It lists Diatomite & Alginate polysaccharide. The diatomite i believe is just more clay. The Alginate I believe is crushed fossilized algae cells, but am unsure, and if so, are they kosher? would that be considered ok for all the vegan/veggie and allergy crowd?

Most isinglass in the UK, at least, is made from commercial white fish like cod these days, it's a waste product of fish & chips... Personally I think it honours the deceased fish to use every last bit of it rather than throw bits in the bin, but I know that argument doesn't work with vegans...

Kieselsol is just silica - so sand. Chitosan is made from the shells of shrimps and other crustaceans so fails on all counts, but you don't have to use it with kieselsol.

Diatomite is the one that's fossilised diatoms, which are algae, so I guess they count as seaweed? I'm not expert. Alginate is extracted from fresh seaweed.

Of course, you could just use a yeast that floccs like a stone, something like WLP002/1968.... Or just make NEIPAs!

I sent an email to Star-K, and received a response from Rabbi Zvi Holland that bentonite clay does not require hechsher

Back