Kona Brewing Koko Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my first nut brown coconut ale.... F'N delicious. I used a nutbrown kit from Ice Harbor and made about 5.5 gallons of the stuff, then added two 2oz bottles of coconut extract(didn't have any toasted flakes available) right before bottling. It came out to a case of 22's, a case of 12's, and some extras of both. There was a half bottle left that I chilled and drank flat just cuz I wanted to taste it. I'm really happy with how good it turned out! There's a good amount of coconut at first, then the ale flavor and a good coconut aftertaste. The only part I would change is it seems a little weak on the beer flavor. Might use less water next time to get the flavor up! But otherwise awesome! AND no oil to clean up after either!

I am going to brew one from a nut brown kit as well. Also going to use the toasted coconut from Whole Foods. Probably .5 in boil then 1lb in 2nd like some of the other posts...will report back

re-brewing this like, right now. Coconut smells amazing.

I'm also making chocolate munchkins at the same time. those smell good as well.

20130921_154202.jpg

Brewing this today!!! Can't wait! Going to do 12oz of coconut with 15 min left in the boil and 12oz in primary. Can't wait!!!

Update on the koko brown beer. I cut the coconut extract back to 1.5 (1 1/2 bottles of extract) using 2 bottles the coconut extract came across as tasting like suntan lotion to some people, but 1.5 oz was the sweet spot. 1oz wasn't good enough either. But I'm hopefully brewing some up tomorrow night! And in 3 weeks my kegorator should be empty and it will be my first batch of beer going through it! Pretty excited!

made a version of this for a friend's going away party, as his favorite beer of all time is kona's koko brown. he said that it tasted just like the real thing and was absolutely thrilled!

the version brewed was based on info and feedback in this thread--thank you all for contributing! here's what i ended up making:

2-row (70%)
victory (13%)
chocolate (9%)
aromatic (4%)
carapils (4%)

mashed @ 150-152 for 60 min, mashout @ 170 for 15 min

cascade (5.5% AA) @ 60 min for 22 IBU
cascade (5.5% AA ) @ 15 min for 5 IBU
willamette (5.5% AA) @ 2 min for 2 IBU

safale-05

sweetened toasted coconut thrown in with 12 minutes left in the boil.

i use beer smith and the above was for a 1 gallon batch (test batch). will be making this again as a 5 gallon batch and following the advice of using .5lb toasted coconut in the mash and 1 lb in the boil.

great job all...thanks!!!!

I'm wanting a little taste of the Islands in preparation for a long cold Ozark winter. I have been all through this thread and I'm trying to come up with a recipe. I use the BIAB method and want to toast my coconut instead of using an extract to try to keep away from that "suntan oil" flavor. I'm planning to use the original recipe posted by rwfishbu and drop the chocolate malt and raise the Victory, the nutty flavor appeals to me.
Not really sure how I want to add the Coconut, I saw where the idea of adding it in 1/3 here and there was suggested. Has anyone tried this out?
I don't have any empty carboys right now and my kegs are full, so I'm not in a huge hurry to get this going, but I want to get a game plan down here soon.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

I tried the additions in thirds, and that seemed to provide best flavor and aroma results. The boil pot gets pretty greasy, but it's worth it. A coconut "tea" in secondary makes the least mess for that stage.

The beer is on day 4 in the primary. I took a reading @1.030 (OG 1.058) and had a quick taste. It tastes like macaroons. I like it.
I put 9oz of well toasted coconut in the mash and another 9 oz in the boil with 15 min left. Not sure if I want to add any more to secondary. I'm trying to get away from racking my beers to secondary and the coconut flavor was already there. There is already quite a bit of coconut that transferred from the boil.

The beer is on day 4 in the primary. I took a reading @1.030 (OG 1.058) and had a quick taste. It tastes like macaroons. I like it.
I put 9oz of well toasted coconut in the mash and another 9 oz in the boil with 15 min left. Not sure if I want to add any more to secondary. I'm trying to get away from racking my beers to secondary and the coconut flavor was already there. There is already quite a bit of coconut that transferred from the boil.

I brewed a coconut porter a couple months ago. I didn't put any coconut in the boil or the mash. I "dry hopped" all of it for about 2 weeks in the primary. The flavor and smell was there and was very upfront but still nice and balanced. It did, however, fade after about 2 weeks. I bottled a few off the keg and had them a couple weeks later and the taste is still there but hardly; same with the aroma.

Please report back and let me know how your method works by adding the coconut in the mash and boil. Maybe next time I'll try that so the coconut lasts a little longer. :mug:

I brewed a coconut porter a couple months ago. I didn't put any coconut in the boil or the mash. I "dry hopped" all of it for about 2 weeks in the primary

Me too. I make an awesome Coconut Porter, just brewed it for the 4th time this past weekend. I simply toast the shredded coconut in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 325 stirring about three times through then add to a sanitized nylon bag and put it into my primary for one week then keg. The coconut taste and aroma come out so nicely, nice and present but not overbearing. Mine tastes like a Mounds bar in a glass. :) I do have to weigh down the bag of coconut though since it will float. I started with marbles (sanitized of course) but what a major PITA to separate them out of the shredded coconut. So, I wound up buying a few cheap crystal balls off Amazon which work way better.

Rev.

This was one of my favorite beers and I have not seen it available in at least 2 years. Has anybody come up with a good extract recipe to make this?

This was one of my favorite beers and I have not seen it available in at least 2 years. Has anybody come up with a good extract recipe to make this?

It's available right now by me in Oceanside, NY. I would love to find an extract recipe for it. Anyone?

Funny story I made up my own recipe by looking at the ingredients on Kona website and googled a lot of related info. The day after I Brewer it I found it at the liquor store. I have been looking for it for 3 years. Anyway I bought it and kept a bottle until mine was ready to drink. I actually like mine better than the original but barely.

made this back in september 2015 (post #87? in this thread). just tried the real thing here in bonita springs, florida. found a 6 pack at publix and had to buy it. honestly??? not one of the best beers I've ever had! the clone recipe was WAY BETTER!!! it was the artificial coconut flavoring that is throwing me off here. 4 bottles left and I am not sure I can finish them.

Well the keg is long gone by now. It was pretty good though. I added the coconut in 2 parts, 9oz in the mash and 9oz in the boil w/15 min left. If I do it again I'll add another 9 in the fermenter. The coconut was there, but it faded fast.
I took this to the deer camp with a bunch of Bud drinkers, and they liked it enough to drink it dry.

Well the keg is long gone by now. It was pretty good though. I added the coconut in 2 parts, 9oz in the mash and 9oz in the boil w/15 min left. If I do it again I'll add another 9 in the fermenter. The coconut was there, but it faded fast.
I took this to the deer camp with a bunch of Bud drinkers, and they liked it enough to drink it dry.

Trust me, skip the mash and boil additions and just put it in the fermenter for the last week. I use 2lbs though for my Porter and the coconut flavor is perfect - totally there, not faint, yet not too overpowering. I used a mesh bag to contain the coconut and it needs to be weighed down or it will float to the surface.

Rev.

I put 1.5 pounds of toasted coconut in a mesh bag but did not weigh it down. It was floating when I bottled and the toasted coconut flavor was perfect as well. I was worried about how it would turn out but it is one of the best beers I've made.

Just brewed this up yesterday with 1 lb of coconut in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I racked the whole works coconut and all into the primary. It looks and smells amazing. My concern is that the thick layer of coconut on top of the beer will not let the yeast through to do its work. Am I worried over nothing?

Hey guys quick question what do u think can I substitute 1.5 lb. of Victory malt with 1.5 lb. of Melanoidin malt.Thank you.

Back