Komos Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkur

BJCP #B1441
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a couple of kegerators to store eight corny kegs. I do not need the towers since the kegerators will be built in (under counter) and I will run the lines to a six tap home-made serving tower.

In looking at my options there is either the Commercial quality Kegco HK38BSU-1 which would work out at around $3300 for the two or the much cheaper and not yet available KOMOS v2 that MoreBeer and others are taking orders for with delivery 'late summer'. The KOMOS option would cost around $1200 and include taps and towers that I could sell as I do not need them.

The KOMOS appears to be an Austraalian sourced unit which has been sold previously under different names. The V2 is an update and looks like it will fit the bill nicely for around 1/3 cost. It is designed for the residential market unlike the Kegco units which are commercial workhorses. As such they are noisy (I already have one) and somewhat bulky.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Is anyone on here an owner of the KOMOS kegerators? Thoughts? Other options?

Paul

I have the previous model which is the keg king. I've had it for 3 yrs and it's been great. Solid , includes a fan and can double as a fermentation fridge if need be.

If you're not going to use the towers...don't purchase them. Should be a configuration option. Lowers your price to around $700.

I have the Komos v2, which from what I've been able to gather is distributed, or manufactured by Kegland in Australia. MoreBeer carries it as the Komos, and Williams Brewing recently started reselling it under the same name as Kegland does natively, which is the Kegland Series X.

This is my first kegerator, so I have no others to compare it to. I purchased it mainly because it is designed to hold, among other varying configurations, 4 corny kegs. I currently have 1 sanke and 3 corny kegs in there right now.

Observations...
  • Construction seems nice, solid build quality.
  • Assembly wasn't too bad, guidance of a YouTube video here and there certainly helped. As you won't be using towers, largely irrelevant comment.
  • LED is flippin bright as hell. I have this in my garage and if I ever wanted a night light in there for any reason, there is absolutely no need to get one as this does the job. Just something to be aware of if you're thinking about putting this unit in say...your living room.
  • The heat....that this thing generates on the sides is crazy. I have 2 4 CF mini fridges in the garage, along with a smaller 10 CF and I don't recall ever getting ambient heat like that from any of them. Pointed an IR thermometer at it the other day and it read 110.
    • This might be a big issue for you depending on your under counter installation. Williams Brewing website has a specific bullet point regarding side clearance requirements.
  • Two exit ports in the back for gas lines is great, but maybe this is common with commercial kegerators?
  • Standard wheels are kinda chintzy, but I don't plan on moving it so they serve their purpose.
  • Love having a kegerator!!

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/Gift...r-Gifts-Over-30000/KegLand-Series-4-Kegerator
Note that kegerators need 4" of clearance on both sides when installing so they do not overheat, so this model cannot be installed flush into a countertop with no side clearance like a dishwasher.

Good tip Bobby. Allowing for an extra 4” on each side for each of the two units will be tough But if I keep the air moving I should be able to reduce that.
Are these units available anywhere now? The MoreBeer & Keg Factory sites both state August-September timeframe. While that timeframe would work for me, I am concerned that with the Covid supply chain disruptions this could slip right.

Paul

If you're not going to use the towers...don't purchase them. Should be a configuration option. Lowers your price to around $700.

I have the Komos v2, which from what I've been able to gather is distributed, or manufactured by Kegland in Australia. MoreBeer carries it as the Komos, and Williams Brewing recently started reselling it under the same name as Kegland does natively, which is the Kegland Series X.

This is my first kegerator, so I have no others to compare it to. I purchased it mainly because it is designed to hold, among other varying configurations, 4 corny kegs. I currently have 1 sanke and 3 corny kegs in there right now.

Observations...
  • Assembly wasn't too bad, guidance of a YouTube video here and there certainly helped. As you won't be using towers, largely irrelevant comment.
  • LED is flippin bright as hell. I have this in my garage and if I ever wanted a night light in there for any reason, there is absolutely no need to get one as this does the job. Just something to be aware of if you're thinking about putting this unit in say...your living room.
  • The heat....that this thing generates on the sides is crazy. I have 2 4 CF mini fridges in the garage, along with a smaller 10 CF and I don't recall ever getting ambient heat like that from any of them. Pointed an IR thermometer at it the other day and it read 110.
    • This might be a big issue for you depending on your under counter installation. Williams Brewing website has a specific bullet point regarding side clearance requirements.
  • Two exit ports in the back for gas lines is great, but maybe this is common with commercial kegerators?
  • Standard wheels are kinda chintzy, but I don't plan on moving it so they serve their purpose.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/Gift...r-Gifts-Over-30000/KegLand-Series-4-Kegerator
Note that kegerators need 4" of clearance on both sides when installing so they do not overheat, so this model cannot be installed flush into a countertop with no side clearance like a dishwasher.

Observations...

Thanks for the good review and the warning about mounting requirements. I will read the information on the site.
where did you buy yours from?

Paul

Thanks for the good review and the warning about mounting requirements. I will read the information on the site.
where did you buy yours from?

Paul

I bought mine from morebeer a couple of months ago. They have both east and west coast warehouses, but they ended up shipping it from their PA warehouse which resulted in an agonizingly slow delivery for me. I actually wanted to purchase from Williams Brewing, but they weren't selling the Series X (Komos v2) at the time. They have outstanding customer service and seemingly process orders straight away.

They are currently in stock, and it looks like if you ordered it today, it could be delivered by this Friday.

SO i am looking at the Kegland Series X, Komos KG440D and the Kegco BF HBK163B-2NK.

I want something that runs quiet, all 3 seem to have the tower cooling, I will look to upgrade to a 2 pressure Co2 regulator <which I can do with Kegco>.

The Kegco is $912 with the dual pressure Co2 reg and perlick 630SS faucets
The Kosmos is $748
The Kegland is $959

Anyone have any thoughts, I assume you guys looked at these before buying..

I'm going to assume you're looking at the Kegland Series X w/4 taps based on the pricing you included for the Komos. If so.it is $789 at the below link.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Gif...r-Gifts-Over-30000/KegLand-Series-4-Kegerator
And..the the thing that I don't think you're taking into consideration is that the Kegco holds 3 corny kegs, the other two hold 4. Kegland & Komos come with Intertap faucets, which compete against Perlick. I've already given my thoughts above, but the math doesn't add up (at least for me in the comparison)

Kegco 2 Taps, Holds 3 Kegs
Kegland & Komos 4 Taps, Holds 4 Kegs

I go back to the commercial vs non commercial use. I’ve never needed commercial quality. It just seems more expensive for what reason? A buddy of mine though was looking at a kegerator for his restaurant. I showed him the regular one, and he wanted the commercial one even though it was 3x more expensive. His only explanation was that it was commercial quality.
Anybody care to let me know what the heck is the difference?

I go back to the commercial vs non commercial use. I’ve never needed commercial quality. It just seems more expensive for what reason? A buddy of mine though was looking at a kegerator for his restaurant. I showed him the regular one, and he wanted the commercial one even though it was 3x more expensive. His only explanation was that it was commercial quality.

Twice as loud, Twice the cooling ability and are designed so they can be repaired which is important in a commercial environment.
Just guessing.

I have a Kegco XCK-1B which comfortably holds four corny kegs with four taps on the air cooled tower. The ‘bump’ which most fridges and freezers have is very big inside and makes the unit very deep. It measures 30”. The unit is solid and designed for commercial bars and it is very loud.

The Kegco unit was is not designed to be built in or under a bar and the dimensions don’t work well so I just bought two Komos V2 units and I am very impressed. Unlike the Kegco, all the controls are on the front and temperature control seems good. Considering I have two of them, they run very quietly - maybe 10% the noise of the Kegco. They will also control down to 26F and have several other convenient features.

I bought them from BrewHardware.com and I am very impressed. A word of warning though, and this applies to all appliances, read the installation instructions and adhere to the air gap requirements of 3-4” on the sides of the Komos units and the back of the Kegco. The Komos sides are where the condensers are located And get quite hot.

Paul

Attachments

• DBE2F941-DF36-470D-9EC5-A7D04F977FE0.jpeg
    DBE2F941-DF36-470D-9EC5-A7D04F977FE0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 205
The price I put up there actually includes the tower/taps, but whatever.

I recently had to do a warranty replacement w/my Komos a couple of weeks ago through morebeer. As the first one arrived with a couple of dents, I wasn't too surprised when they (morebeer) told me that they suspected the compressor was damaged based on what I reported and arranged a replacement. And disassembling old, then reassembling new was a massive PITA btw....hell. But..end result more than worth it and big props to morebeer for stepping up. Took over a month to finally get it sorted, but...I'll blame that on covid.

This second one is SO much quieter than the original unit. Cooler fan was actually louder than the compressor, so much so that I only turned it on when I knew I was going to be utilizing it later in the day. With new unit, I leave it on all the time. I catch the occasional clicking of the compressor, but that is easily the loudest noise that this thing generates. Oh..and I taped a yellow sticky note on top of the LED light. It reduces the brightness, but is a light enough material that I can still make out the temp.

@Knightshade did you get a V2 edition? I ended up buying the Komos V2 Unit at my local store and it will arrive on Thursday.

Yep. Yeah..good deal going w/local purchase. My unboxing, unboxing, re-boxing was kind of a pain. I've been really happy w/mine and the Evabarrier/Duotight installation makes it really easy. You kind of have to shove it in there, but the stock holder will carry a 10 lb tank. I wanted to have a measure of control over the individual CO2 pressure of each keg as well, and since I don't have a lot of extra space to do multiple full size regulators...they're a little quirky, but work pretty well for the most part. I have the extra line so I can do other stuff. Typically pushing Star San out of kegs, pushing beer out of fermenter to keg, burst carbing an extra growler or something like that.

IMG_3481.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry to dig up an old thread. For those of you with the V2, does it make this noise? I contacted morebeer, where i got it, and they say it's normal. Just making sure. Here is a YouTube l link:

rpetelin,

did you have any resolution to this noise? I just picked up a kegland series x and its obnoxiously loud just like that.

Last edited:
OP mentioned kegco and undercounter. I've got a Kegco HK38BSU-2 that I bought for undercounter installation. I haven't built around it yet, so it's sitting in the open in my TV room. It's completely quiet. I've never heard it running, and that's a room with wood floors. This kegerator has the front vents so that it does not require any special consideration for venting on sides and back. Also, completely stainless inside. I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2UZUXA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_R1B7K0GT2W95FH9ZE10B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Kegco HK38BSU is meant to be bult in - hence the front facing vent.. The advantage of the KOMOS is that it holds twice as many corny kegs for half the price. That's a no brainer in my book and I was able to build in two of them while maintaining the side and rear spacing recommended.

Paul

The Kegco HK38BSU is meant to be bult in - hence the front facing vent.. The advantage of the KOMOS is that it holds twice as many corny kegs for half the price. That's a no brainer in my book and I was able to build in two of them while maintaining the side and rear spacing recommended.

Paul
Mine holds 3 (and a 5# CO2 tank).

I'm considering a KOMOS unit but I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to:
1) Does this unit auto defrost or does it have to be manually defrosted?
2) Is the door reversible? If not, which side are the hinges on?
3) What is the manufacturer's warranty on the unit?
4) Does anyone have experience getting this unit repaired? Are there any authorized service providers? Are parts readily available?
5) What do y'all know about the manufacturer? How long have they been around? Are they responsive when there's an issue? (the only information i've been able to find is that they are manufactured in australia; no support phone #, etc).

Thanks! Cheers!

I have two Komos kegerators that have been in operation for 18 months and couldn’t be happier with them. There are never less than three kegs in each one and more often four. One keg is full of water with a pump to chill the lines to a six-tap beer tower. That kegerator (understandably) runs more than the other one.

To answer your questions:
1) Does this unit auto defrost or does it have to be manually defrosted? I believe it must have an automatic defrost cycle. On occasions I have seen a thin film of ice on the inside back panel, but at other times it’s not there.

2) Is the door reversible? If not, which side are the hinges on? Hinges are on the right of the door. And there is a hole on the left side so I believe the door are reversible.

3) What is the manufacturer's warranty on the unit? One year

4) Does anyone have experience getting this unit repaired? Are there any authorized service providers? Are parts readily available? No experience - luckily!

5) What do y'all know about the manufacturer? How long have they been around? Are they responsive when there's an issue? (the only information i've been able to find is that they are manufactured in Australia; no support phone #, etc). The units used to be manufactured by Keg King who I spoke with at the 2019 HomeBrewCon. I think they are based and units are manufactured in Australia. All support is through the distribution channel - primarily BrewHardware.com and MoreBeer. Luckily I have had no need for support.

Some points I would like to make:
1) I also have a commercial KegCo Kegerator. While good it was way too loud for the family bar I designed and built. The two Komos units are super quiet.
2) There was some condensate leakage onto the floor. Not a lot. Just 3-4” circle of water once in a while. Since these units are built in under a 2” bar top, I inserted a small plastic tub to catch the drips and allow it to evaporate. This works well.
3) Installation instructions state that there must be 3-5” of free air on each side of the unit. The sides do get hot and I mounted them with plenty of air space on both sides.
4) There is a switch to turn the circulation fan on and off. The unit is full with four kegs in it so I leave this turned on.
5) I bought the two units ‘bare bones’. No beer tower since I built my own and no beer taps.
508C852B-7238-42F7-B441-03C3D24EC805.jpeg

I have two Komos kegerators that have been in operation for 18 months and couldn’t be happier with them. There are never less than three kegs in each one and more often four. One keg is full of water with a pump to chill the lines to a six-tap beer tower. That kegerator (understandably) runs more than the other one.

To answer your questions:
1) Does this unit auto defrost or does it have to be manually defrosted? I believe it must have an automatic defrost cycle. On occasions I have seen a thin film of ice on the inside back panel, but at other times it’s not there.

2) Is the door reversible? If not, which side are the hinges on? Hinges are on the right of the door. And there is a hole on the left side so I believe the door are reversible.

3) What is the manufacturer's warranty on the unit? One year

4) Does anyone have experience getting this unit repaired? Are there any authorized service providers? Are parts readily available? No experience - luckily!

5) What do y'all know about the manufacturer? How long have they been around? Are they responsive when there's an issue? (the only information i've been able to find is that they are manufactured in Australia; no support phone #, etc). The units used to be manufactured by Keg King who I spoke with at the 2019 HomeBrewCon. I think they are based and units are manufactured in Australia. All support is through the distribution channel - primarily BrewHardware.com and MoreBeer. Luckily I have had no need for support.

Some points I would like to make:
1) I also have a commercial KegCo Kegerator. While good it was way too loud for the family bar I designed and built. The two Komos units are super quiet.
2) There was some condensate leakage onto the floor. Not a lot. Just 3-4” circle of water once in a while. Since these units are built in under a 2” bar top, I inserted a small plastic tub to catch the drips and allow it to evaporate. This works well.
3) Installation instructions state that there must be 3-5” of free air on each side of the unit. The sides do get hot and I mounted them with plenty of air space on both sides.
4) There is a switch to turn the circulation fan on and off. The unit is full with four kegs in it so I leave this turned on.
5) I bought the two units ‘bare bones’. No beer tower since I built my own and no beer taps.
This thread is very timely for me. I'm looking at buying the Komos/Kegland V2 probably today. I'm just trying to decide how many taps to get. I really only need two, but for the difference in price I may just spring for four as you never know. I really liked seeing the pic of the multiple pressure control ala spunding valves in Knightshade's post. I really like duotight fittings, I used John Guest fittings which are the same except white for my espresso filtration/pressure regulator. Mine will be free standing in my man cave/family room so heat and noise won't be a big issue.
And a big plus that Bobby_M gave it a thumbs up.

I have one more question related to ordering the Komos/Kegland kegerator. There are different taps offered and since I have never had a kegerator; are the flow control nukataps the recommended? What's the difference?
Thanks,
John

I have the Double Komos Kegerator (8 kegs!) and I have the Nukatap flow controls. My previous kegerator was a 3 tap Kegco and was great for 3 years. It has now been repurposed as a fermenting chamber. I'm used to the Intertap flow control faucets on that one so I went with the Nukataps (same manufacturer).

The flow control allows me to get away with a slightly overcarbed beer once in awhile. I usually force carb and it's not always spot on. But the EVAbarrier tubing allows relatively short (6 1/2 feet for me) lines that are well balanced and the flow controls are not absolutely necessary.

My opinion probably don't count here because I came by mine for free. But I have a Sub Zero 18 in and a Perlick 24 in commercial under counter units that I like. They both are very quite and put out very little heat. Additionally I have a single tower Nostalgia kegerator that I keep out on the deck. It produces more noise and heat than the two commercial units but it does a good job also.

I have the Double Komos Kegerator (8 kegs!) and I have the Nukatap flow controls. My previous kegerator was a 3 tap Kegco and was great for 3 years. It has now been repurposed as a fermenting chamber. I'm used to the Intertap flow control faucets on that one so I went with the Nukataps (same manufacturer).

The flow control allows me to get away with a slightly overcarbed beer once in awhile. I usually force carb and it's not always spot on. But the EVAbarrier tubing allows relatively short (6 1/2 feet for me) lines that are well balanced and the flow controls are not absolutely necessary.
How did you get 8 kegs in? I just received mine, finally got my last keg filled and can't for the life of me get the last keg in. They are used ball lock soda kegs which I thought were supposed fit......I'm not usually this edept at something this simple.

@H-D_Rider The only way to get 8 kegs in is to use Slimline Torpedo kegs. I bought mine from Morebeer over the years. They are available elsewhere, as well. Standard corny kegs will not fit 8, as you found out. Slimline is clearly stated in the description...Sorry!

Latest posts

Back