Komos Kegerator eva barrier stock beer line length enough? or should it be extended?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiMike

Reaction score
Curious what people have done with their Komos Kegerators. They shipped stock size line and I am currently utilizing that length which is maybe 3.5 feet from tower to ball lock. With the Komos, the tower has a cooling fan which is great but I am wondering has anyone extended their lines? Would it make sense to extend to 10 foot interior lines? I keep reading people swear by longer lines to reduce foaming "without" a cooling fan so would this help at all? BTW I do not run the fan all of the time, I wait till an hour or so I know I am going to have a beer to run it but there could be 3-4 days or longer between uses...

Thoughts?

I've had my EdgeStar kegerator for many years and it came with short beer lines, so when replacing them I have always used the same size and length of line. The only foam issues I had were on the first pour, so adding a cooling tower fan helped fix that.

I know many people say you need X amount of line at X amount of pressure with X amount of resistance to get a good pour, but I have to think the folks designing the kegerator put some thought into it. Maybe I give them too much credit, but it's been working okay for me.

Watch parts 1 & 2 of this guy setting up. I watched it at least once prior to setting it up, then referenced a couple of times during. But better to start off with your line length being too long, you can always reduce it. I went w/3 meters per line. It pours a bit slow even at 13psi, but no foam and all is good.

My fan is quiet enough that I just leave it running all the time.

I have two kegerators, and one of them has 4 mm ID eva lines @ 5'. They are maybe a bit short. The other kegerator has 5 mm ID eva lines @ 13', and those are perfect. So, when I change the lines, I will probably go with 6' of the 4 mm eva lines.

Are you sure it's only 3.5 feet? At MoreBeer, it says they come with 5.5 foot lines. That should be enough for EVA lines. 10 foot lines are appropriate for the old fashioned beer lines, but unnecessary for EVA.

[...]I know many people say you need X amount of line at X amount of pressure with X amount of resistance to get a good pour, but I have to think the folks designing the kegerator put some thought into it. Maybe I give them too much credit, but it's been working okay for me.

From observations over the years of brand new kegerators with waaay too short lines for their ID, you're definitely giving them too much credit, imo.

Anyway....fwiw, 5.5-6 feet of 4mm ID EVAbarrier tubing should be pretty much perfect for chart pressures up to 11-12 psi...

Cheers!

I am glad that I searched for this question.. this was my exact question.. my kegerator is due to come in Monday... wanted to get a jump on getting all the parts... and was curious how these new smaller EVA lines compared to the older/larger lines...

Back