Kombucha Scoby Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlandsman

Reaction score
Please help! This is my second batch of kombucha (the first was great!) and I am worried about a spot on top of the baby scoby. I will attach pictures as well. Please let me know if this is mold asap, and if so can I still salvage it?

scoby2.jpg

scoby.jpg

Looks like mold to me. Also, no need for identical threads in two sections of the forum. Just one will do

Idk this is tough but I think it's mold. It's just so yellow compared to what I feel like a scoby gets.

Definitely mold - you can see in the upper right of the mold the "blossoming" shape being created as the mold grows outward from the contamination point. Can you confirm that is has a "fuzzy" texture or look to it?

Discard the scoby and the batch and try again.

For your next batch, use more starter tea or vinegar to lower the initial pH and create an environment that inhibits mold growth. Also, clean the heck out of that fermentation vessel!

Back