Kolsh very slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
I made a pilsener extract kit with a Wyeast 2565 starter 3 weeks ago and fermented it at 59 Degrees.
3 and a half weeks passed and it had been fermenting extremely slowly and still had krausen on the top. I agitated the yeast every few days.
I warmend it up to 62 Degrees for the last 4 days and there is still a huge amount of krausen on top and a few minuted pass between each bubble.

What do you think has happened?
Has it finished fermenting but the krausen doesn't drop on this one?

Has anyone used that strain of yeast before?

Thanks

I am using that yeast right now but it has nly been in the primary for 4 days now. I have used American Ale 2 yeast that just wouldnt drop ethier. Just wait and it will drop.

I'm also using that yeast right now, and it's been in primary for a week and a half. It seems to be doing all sorts of strange things. It started quite slowly, then built a big krausen, then it kinda died down, then built a really big krausen and nearly blew-off, etc... I wouldn't worry, it seems this is a strange yeast.

Cheers for your replies.

I googled around and found some rumors that the krausen hasn't dropped on other peoples brews after 3 weeks using the same yeast. Somebody mentioned that theirs almost dried up to form a krausen cake on top. Mine looked something like that and since the airlock had been dormant for well over a week I transferred it to secondary. I had a wee taste and I know this batch has potential. It will be hard waiting for it to cold condition!

Which brings me to another question. Do I cold condition it for a month in secondary then bottle and carbonate, or do I bottle and carbonate, then cold condition the bottles?

My Kolsch is at day 15 in secondary, and getting ready to bottle them and stick em in the fridge for a couple weeks. Its much darker than I would like, but the Krausen has finally fallen, after about the 10th day.

Latest posts

Back