Kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I would love to make a Kolsch, but my last attemp was a horrible cloudy bready mess. My worst brew ever. Everyone says that Kolsch yeast needs to be cold conditions for a long time. I only conditioned for about a week, but I left the bottles in the fridge for MONTHS, and it never cleared. Why? Suggestions? I used some Wyeast Kolsch strain.

Kolsch is traditionally filtered, which means you should probably use some kind of fining agent. I've had good results with Irish moss in the past.

I use Irish Moss or whirlfloc, and I add gelatin before the cold crash.

I am on my 6th batch of kolschish beer all done from one pkg of wyeast 2575. I have a sanitary blow off system for collecting yeast. I have about 20 or so batches using the 3 yeasts, so lets get to the chase.
1- must use wirlflock (also yeast nute if reusing)
2- oxygen(not air) is critical for this yeast.
3- WLP029 does not do well below 60*
4- 2565 &2575 are best started at 55* and let rise slowly(7days)to 63* to finish.
5- leave at 63- 65 for 14 more days(total 21 in primary.
At this point depending on SG you could keg or secondary, most of mine are around the 1.050 mark, but even when you have an FG of 1.010 there is still something going on because when I was bottling it would drop farther and be very carbed.
6- the colder you can keep this either kegged or secondary-ed the brighter it will be. But to be krystal it needs filtering.
We just had our club picnic on 7-19 I filled a pin on 7-3 that was brewed on 5-22 vwith a honey Kolschish used 2.5 oz corn sugar served at 40* and it was empty in less then 2 hrs. It was pretty clear for a cask ale and very carbonated(we taped it 2 seconds after putting in the soft spiel so no venting.

Oh I forgot to say, I have a ordinary bitter Kolsch that was 3 weeks primary and then kegged carbed at 65* and waiting room in the cooler.
This is the first one NOT to undergo 8 weeks from start to either keg or bottle( my first one was a cloudy yeasty mess) and 4 wks sec. at 48* made them drop clearish.

The WL029 Kolsch yeast's sweet spot is 65-69F by their PDF. It definitely won't do well at lower temps. And I agree on the fining agent. I have Whirlfloc tablets for next time. Here's a pic of my hybrid lager about as clear as I ever got it without a fining agent. But a longer mash & boil seems to help too.

Okay, I've used 2565 before, but that was before my days of making starters.

Explain to me how do you get air into the starter when you have to put on a blowoff tube because krausen is foaming out of the top of the flask?

Back