Kolsch Wyeast 2565 Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizman460

Reaction score
To anyone that has used this yeast I need some help.

I pitched this yeast this Saturday and have had no activity. I had my beer Refrigerator at 62 degrees and I did not pitch the yeast in to warm of wort.

Wyest 2656 was a smack pack, I smacked it and waited 3 hours before pitching.

Question:

1) How long should I wait to see activity? Slow starting yeast. Could it be working and no bubbles in the vapor lock?

2) Anything I can do to get this beer going?

Thanks

To anyone that has used this yeast I need some help.

I pitched this yeast this Saturday and have had no activity. I had my beer Refrigerator at 62 degrees and I did not pitch the yeast in to warm of wort.

Wyest 2656 was a smack pack, I smacked it and waited 3 hours before pitching.

Question:

1) How long should I wait to see activity? Slow starting yeast. Could it be working and no bubbles in the vapor lock?

2) Anything I can do to get this beer going?

Thanks

1) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

2) RDWHAHB

That yeast is very good generally...I've had it going as low as 55F. If nothing changes by Wednesday, you'll need to repitch.

I pitched 2565 for the first time about 10 days ago (1L starter following instructions on wyeast website). Fermentation temp was between 62-64 degrees. I read all sorts of things about it taking off quickly, people needing blowoff tubes etc, so I was worried when I saw no airlock activity after 72+ hours using a fermenter and lid that I know is tight and has produced tons of bubbling before.

Normally I'm reluctant to take off the lid, but I did and saw a big krausen. Hydrometer reading also showed that fermentation had taken place. Day 10, and the krausen is still there (which I've read is common for 2565).

Should be fine. Mine took a little bit of time last winter too, and I pitched a healthy 2 Qt starter. It was one of my favorite beers to date.

Seemed to be no limit to how cool it would ferment at. I was way deep into the 50's in a cold basement room.

2565 always starts within 12 hours for me, but I always make starter. Last batch was going under 8 hours. Slow fermenting yeast at lower end of recommended temp, and makes for frothy, rather large krausen that likes to stick around even when fermentation is done

Sent from GT-I9100M

I made a 1L starter of this yeast 24 hours before pitching, and there was little visible activity (Keyword being visible). Once I pitched into 5 gallons of Cream Ale (Spotted Cow Clone) of O.G. 1.053, fermentation took off with a nice krausen within 4-8 hours.

Six months back I made a saison O.G. 1.064 with Wyeast 3711 French Saison . The starter took off, and then when I pitched into the wort, there appeared to be no activity (Keyword being appeared). A gravity reading 7 days later revealed that the yeast in fact went to town on the wort, with ~79% Apparent Attenuation.

When in doubt, read the gravity and then (and only then) develop a course of action.

Back