Kolsch Temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
I made a Kolsch, and I pitched the Whitelabs Kolsch yeast for it. It lagged pretty bad... took about 36 hours to start. Now it's bubbling though, but only about 1-2 bubbles per minute at this point.

I know that Whitelabs says the ideal range for this yeast is lilke 65-69F or so. Right now it is at 72F.

My question is, should I leave it at 72 until it starts bubbling faster, or should I go ahead and reduce it to the correct temperature right now?

In other words, will getting it in the ideal range slow down the fermentation back down if it hasn't started roaring yet?

For my Kolsches, i usually ferment around 65ish for primary, then due an extended secondary between 35~50F for around 1-month.

-Todd

HomerT said:
For my Kolsches, i usually ferment around 65ish for primary, then due an extended secondary between 35~50F for around 1-month.

-Todd

is the lagering necessary? I don't have the equipment to lager. I figured since it was an ale yeast it could stay at ale temp the entire time (well, slightly lower than normal ale temp in this case).

Did yours start fermenting okay at 65? I was just wondering if I should leave it warm (72-73) until it gets going strong.

I actually started mine at ~72 and slowly dropped it to ~65 over the next few days using a wet towel and a fan.

Lagering isn't necessary. But Kolsches tend to be a balance between lager and ale. The yeast is kind of a hybrid. They tend to be more flavorful than a lager, but more clear and crisp than a pale ale. That's why I do it.

I actually don't have the equipment, I just usually brew mine in the winter and place them in my garage.

I did one this summer without lagering. I bottled half in 12oz bottles and half in a Beer Machine mini keg. Haven't drank the bottles yet, but the mini-keg sat in the fridge at 35F for almost two months before I started drinking it. Probably the best beer I have ever made.

My advice, would be to ferment at ale temps...bottle and carb at room temp and then toss your bottles in a fridge for a month or so of cold conditioning.

Just my $0.02.

-Todd

I did a Kolsch in July and started the fermentation at 65F. I did a starter and got my first signs of fermentation in less than 6 hours (I think).
[But that is why you do starters, so you can pretty much dispense with the yeast growth phase and get on with the fermentative metabolism. And having a homemade stir plate to keep the yeast in suspension and aerated really kicks butt. You can really tell the difference between a starter done with the plate and without it.]
Then I turned down the temp to around 58F. I think it was done fermenting in less than 5 days, but am not for sure in my notes. I think I got busy at work and didn't have time to monitor the progress.

Back