Kolsch fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
I have a Kolsch fermenting with Lallemand Kolsch style yeast for a week now at 60 degrees. Bubbling has slowed, should I raise the temperature? If so, to what? Thank you for your reply!

Bubble counting is an inexact science at best. Gravity readings are the way to find out what's really happening. That said, it's probably slowing down because attenuation is finished, or nearly so. If you want to raise the temperature a few degrees (say 64-65F), it won't hurt anything at this point, and will accelerate the fermentation finish and cleanup.

Bubble counting is an inexact science at best. Gravity readings are the way to find out what's really happening. That said, it's probably slowing down because attenuation is finished, or nearly so. If you want to raise the temperature a few degrees (say 64-65F), it won't hurt anything at this point, and will accelerate the fermentation finish and cleanup.
It wouldn't be a problem to do a gravity reading, but I don't know what the final gravity should be? My OG was 1.047, which was right on target.

If you can provide your grain bill, mash temp, mash length, and yeast strain, I could estimate an expected FG.
That said, the way to tell if it's actually finished attenuating is two readings, 2-3 days apart. If it's not moving, and in the neighborhood of the target, it's done.

If you can provide your grain bill, mash temp, mash length, and yeast strain, I could estimate an expected FG.
That said, the way to tell if it's actually finished attenuating is two readings, 2-3 days apart. If it's not moving, and in the neighborhood of the target, it's done.
Thank you, I appreciate that, but unfortunately, it's a kit that specified OG but not FG. I'm going to invest in an Anvil Foundry once I get a little more experience, so I will be able to answer questions about grain bill, etc!

It wouldn't be a problem to do a gravity reading, but I don't know what the final gravity should be? My OG was 1.047, which was right on target.
Assuming a yeast attenuation of around 75% a FG of 1.010-.012 could be expected. As mentioned, two samples, 2-3 days apart with no change, will indicate that fermentation is complete.

I just did a kolsch and fermented at 64 degrees based on my yeast. On day 5, I raised the temp to 69 degrees for a couple days. I kegged and cold crashed at 2 weeks and drank crystal clear beer on day 21. I didn’t bother to check an early gravity because I was going to give it time to clean up and clear anyway.

Back