Knotty Pine and Cedar Log Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're all parallel to each other. That's impressive. Did you use some sort of jig and a drill press or are you just that good?

No jig or drill press, athough it would have been easier and more precise. I really need to invest in a drill press, but haven't gotten around to it. I used my miter saw to cut the correct angle plane across the bottoms, so that they all stood at a similar angle to each other on a flat surface. I then used a hand drill with a 1/8" drill bit to drill a pilot hole as perpendicular as possible to the bottom plane in all directions. I then used the same hand drill and a 1/2" spade bit to drill out the hole for the threaded inserts (1/2" to 1/4") that I purchased from McMaster Carr. I used the spade drill bit to screw the fittings down into the holes, which worked well. I was suprized that they lined up as straight as they did. I have a sh*t load of sanding to do on them to thin them out and bring more of the heartwood color out, but they should look good with the final sanding and finishing. What the hell.... besides a few bucks for the threaded fittings, the tap handles are unique and best of all....free! :tank:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well I finally got around to ordering my 4th Perlick 525ss yesterday and I finally milled and knifed another cedar trim piece to accommodate the 4th tap. I just finish sanded the trim piece and all of the tap handles. I used my band saw to remove some of the sap wood on the front of the handles to expose more of the red heartwood and then re-sanded from 60 grit all the way to 220, so they are like glass. It took me a couple of hours, but they are ready for clear coat. :ban: I'll post some pics. when they dry.

Here are a few pics of the red cedar log trim piece that I milled, sanded, and drilled for 4 taps to replace the one on the keezer that currently houses 3 taps. I'm going to do 3 coats of polyurethane, the last pic is only after one coat, so the color should get deeper.

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

Oops! Wrong pic. Here it is with the first coat of poly. Also a pic of my tap handles hanging on a string getting ready for the finish.

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

Finally some pics. of each tap handle following the first coat of polyurethane. I'll lightly sand between coats and plan on coating 3 times. I ruined one of the tap handles using my band saw to take off the layer of white sap wood to expose the red heartwood. Went too deep and exposed the threaded insert. I only had one small branch left and it didn't have a hell of a lot of character, but I have to roll with what I have. I hope they look decent on the keezer taps, because I really don't feel like starting over.

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

Tap handles are complete, as well as the new trim piece to accommodate the 4th tap. Now I just need my kegconnection delivery to arrive and I'm golden. I'm going to spend some time redoing the insulation in my coffin when I swap everything out. I originally used 1" styrofoam insulation, but the more I keep removing the sh*t, the more it keeps breaking apart and making a mess in my keezer. I'm replacing with closed cell urethane insulation sheeting, which should not only offer even better R-value, but it wont fall apart and make a mess. Racking another batch of Bonzai Indian Wheat to a keg tonight and brewing a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout hopefully this weekend.

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

A couple more pics. As you can see, I moved the keezer and the fridge out of the bar, as I finish up the drop ceiling and recessed lighting in the bar area this weekend. Hey Ted, if you wouldn't mind sharing with the rest of the forum what you advised me to do for that last tap handle via PM, I'm sure it would get some chuckles. Try to keep is clean though....;)

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

"clean" is not fun or funny.

What you have here is a classic case of having a vagina on your wood!!! That's awesome. You HAVE to brew a beer specific for that tap handle. It has to be some kind of fruity, light, stripper-smelling "peach-fuz" beer or something. I have so many gross and disgusting names for potential beer floating around in my head...

"clean" is not fun or funny.

What you have here is a classic case of having a vagina on your wood!!! That's awesome. You HAVE to brew a beer specific for that tap handle. It has to be some kind of fruity, light, stripper-smelling "peach-fuz" beer or something. I have so many gross and disgusting names for potential beer floating around in my head...

I know....me too. The sky's the limit with this one. My wife wants me to scrap the tap handle and make another, but I said NAY! It is what it is and it was meant to be. I may just devote this tap to my fizzy, yellow light beer drinking friends that "don't like dark beer". I think the tap handle itself describes them well. I'll put on tap some mango or peach, light bodied beer that they can handle. Ted.....you are the man and I appreciate your perspective on the matter at hand. :mug:

I think that my thread on this keezer build has lost steam, as not many members seem to be following it the last few days. If only they knew. Cheers my man!

HA! Thanks man, but I'm not the man. I'm just a drunk with a kettle.

There you go, that's also pretty funny. "What's the lightest beer you have on tap?" "Just look for the p***y handle - that's it..." Your friends all chuckle. My wife would probably not like the idea either but I'd just ask her if she was jealous, touch the handle softly and she'd shake her head and walk out of the room.

I hope to pick up my chest freezer in the next week or so. The temp controller is in a box in the garage patiently waiting for a home. If only I wasn't so damn busy. :p Stupid job, family, obligations, friends, other stuff to do.

OK....my 4th tap and all of the fixin's are due for delivery today at my house. They should be waiting for me when I get home, so tonight I plan on pulling a late nighter swapping out the trim piece from the 3 hole to the 4 hole, re-insulating the entire coffin with 1 1/2" insulation panels, and adding the 4th tap, beer line, etc. Just in the knick of time, because I have had a fresh keg of Bonzai Indian Wheat carbing up and it should be close to ready. :rockin: Should have final pics. by the end of the weekend and then I'm putting this project to rest.....waaaay too many other projects on the horizon to keep messing with this one.

P.S. I also received my new bottling wand from Irrenartz and should have the stainless machined adapter from Bowiefan in the next few days. Can't wait to be able to bottle efficiently off of the keezer! :tank:

Finally swapped out the horizontal trim piece and added the 4th tap earlier today. Here are a few pics. of the new trim piece and the 4 Perlick 525ss faucets. I also decided to re-insulate the entire coffin while I was at it. I got sick of the styrofoam insulation breaking apart everytime I removed it to get at the shanks and beer lines in the coffin.

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

Here are a few pics of the re-insulated coffin utilizing 1 1/2 inch rigid, closed cell, foam insulation. No more mess and much better r-value. I was able to get a minimum of 2 layers (3") on all surfaces, plus 2 layers of the cotton sound proofing insulation material. It should be very efficient at this point, so maintaining a 5 degree temp. differential between the coffin and the keezer can be achieved without the inductor fans running frequently.

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

Finally....4 taps on my keezer! Here are a few pics with all 4 of the custom cedar branch tap handles that I made a couple of weeks ago. I may make a few extra tap handles for variety. The wood grain on tap one created a questionable image, so I may swap it out in the future. Just one problem, my drip tray isn't long enough now, so I have to either buy a new one or find a way to customize this one to catch the drips under all 4 taps. I'll figure something out, but I really don't want to spend much more money on this project, because I have several more brewing related projects in the works and this one already exceed budget. :D

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

Two final pics of the finished project. Onto bigger and better things! :mug:

Thanks for following my thead....I know it's was a long one. Also, thanks for all of the compliments along the way and all of the helpful adviced from those that blazed the trail on coffin keezer builds before me. It's been a blast, but onto the basement brewery! :mug:

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

Thanks Masshole! The bar is almost complete....just need to seal the grout, but can't seem to find the time to get that project done. Once it's sealed, I'll get it rolled back into the bar and I should be all set.....then onto the basement brewhouse! :mug:

Nice build. I love the attention to detail. You did well.

Keep the Tap Handles. Your VaJayJay handle matches the phallic nature of tap 3 viewed from the side. It is a His/Hers kind of setup...love it.

Infact I vote that you rename your next "light beer for friends that don't like dark beer" "Blonde VaJayJay"

Oh and would you hurry and cover that ugly fridge with some Knotty pine already....it is killing your awesome space.

Wow...

We hope to build a log cabin on our lake property in the next 5 years or so. If I could build a bar that looks 20% as beautiful as yours I'd be pretty happy.

^^^ Blonde VaJayJay, nice!

This is just perfect. Perfect in size, quality, style.
My plans are in process.

Thanks for letting us follow your work.

Thank you to everyone else that had positive comments about my build. I appreciate it. Triplebuckshot: I'm still trying to talk my wife into letting me cover the fridge with the thin T&G knotty pine. Solbes: Good luck with your lake front log cabin build! Pnuthed: Thanks for the very nice compliments.

Cheers! :mug:

Not that I have cured cancer or anything but I have a bit of experience in the wood shop myself. I think the keezer looks great and I think you did a fantastic job!

Congrats on finishing and thanks for sharing.

Ed

Thanks Ohio-Ed....that means a lot coming from you. BTW, your all electric AG system is amazing and I have been combing through your thread and Kal's website gathering ideas and inspiration. You obviously have the know how, when it comes to electrical systems and your build is impressive. I have minimal experience with electrical operating systems, but have a neighbor that is an EE with a background in this field. He also indulges in my home brew creations quite often on the weekends, so it's time for him to scratch my back so to speak. I can't expect him to design and fabricate the entire thing for me, so I most likely will purchase one of Kal's unassembled control panels and have him help me put it together. I think I can handle the rest of the build and components without difficulty, but the control panel scares the hell out of me! Anyways....thank you Ed and I'm sure I'll be coming to you with questions throughout the winter. :mug:

I apologize that my thread took a turn for the worst so quickly. Hopefully we can get this thing back on track. Thanks for stepping in BierMuncher. :mug:

Thanks for the compliment countrygent73, much appreciated! :mug:

Welcome to HBT tattooman. I know you have mentioned an interest in getting into home brewing. This will be your #1 resource in learning and advancing. Of course, you can use me as a resource as well. Thanks for your offer for giving me the extra CO2 that you have laying around....I'll put it to good use! :mug:

Thanks for the invite to this site! home brewing sounds like a lot of fun, my son is interested also! it would be fun to have him helping with all the processes of brewing! not to mention sharing in the rewards!
I'll bring the cylinder to you Wednesday!

Hey Hoppopotomus,

I really just want to thank you for your detailed thread on your build. It really helped me get an idea of what I wanted to start building. I used the same controller as you, and the pics of the frame when you were building really helped me!

Here is my thread: "Keezer 5ive"

I would appreciate any words of advice as im still in the process of building!

Back