Knee Deep Citra PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really depends on what you are trying for. The hopping schedule seems very limited and the 30 minute addition does not make sense if you are trying to get the Citra to really shine. Also, using Citra as a bittering hop is an expensive way to go and not the cleanest bitterness either. There are better bittering hops.

I'd recommend taking a look at the recipe for "Lawsons Sip of Sunshine" which is in the IPA recipe database. This uses a ton more Citra but is a really good beer. Some of the highlights are most of the Citra is added at 10 min or later. I have done this recipe and skipped the dry hop and instead used those hops in the hop stand. It had HUGE citra flavor and aroma but a reasonable bitterness. This is a good one to model on if you want to really get that real Citra experience.

It really depends on what you are trying for. The hopping schedule seems very limited and the 30 minute addition does not make sense if you are trying to get the Citra to really shine. Also, using Citra as a bittering hop is an expensive way to go and not the cleanest bitterness either. There are better bittering hops.

I'd recommend taking a look at the recipe for "Lawsons Sip of Sunshine" which is in the IPA recipe database. This uses a ton more Citra but is a really good beer. Some of the highlights are most of the Citra is added at 10 min or later. I have done this recipe and skipped the dry hop and instead used those hops in the hop stand. It had HUGE citra flavor and aroma but a reasonable bitterness. This is a good one to model on if you want to really get that real Citra experience.

Thanks. I'll take a look.
There is a local brewery here that has a citra based PA that I like and so does my wife. Don't want a big hop bomb- aiming for an IBU or 50, give or take.

If I followed the hop additions for Lawson's Sip of Sunshine where changing out the 60 min of Citra and replace with Columbus, how would that work? I ask because not sure if my LHBS has the Belgian Pale Ale Malt.
Is the grain bill ok for the Knee Deep recipe I linked or would I need to tweek?

Here's a Citra recipe I did, and I'm really enjoying the results. My actual OG was a little lower, ABV was 5.6%.

This has a very light body that allowed me to isolate the Citra -- I wanted to see what it could do. With such a light body, I got some very clear fruity aromas with only 1.7 oz dry hop. The trick is to dry hop cool, like 64 F, and then cold crash immediately after dry hop, which lasts only 8 days. Then 2 days at 30 F and I racked it off the hops. These cool temps help keep the most volatile components of the Citra profile in the wort instead of dissipating into the room.

I get a generic citrus-fruit with a top note of pineapple, then it finishes in a fairly assertive grapefruit.

here's the recipe:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Sunfish IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.89%
IBU (tinseth): 50.39
SRM (morey): 3.44

FERMENTABLES:
9.5 lb - American - Pilsner (76%)
3 lb - Flaked Rice (24%)

HOPS:
0.8 oz - Bravo, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 44.81
0.5 oz - Bravo, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.8, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.58
1.7 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 9 qt, Sacc rest after cereal mash
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.2 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
gu bu target .84

Make a cereal mash if using raw rice.
Mill rice to fine grist
Add 2 lbs of the pils to all the rice. 5 lb total grain in the cereal mash
Add hot 2-3 qt/lb water, 10-15 qt, to hit 156, hold 20 min
Slowly heat to boiling, hold 20-30 min, stirring constantly
Mash remaining 7.5 lbs pils at 152-154. Add cereal mash, cooling, if necessary, to 156. Hold 60 min

Here is the recipe I used. I am not sure about the IBU on this, but I assure you that even though it uses a 8.6 oz of hops it is not overly bitter. The key is the proportionaly large late additions of hops. You could probably scale the late hop additions back by 50% and still have a great beer with nice Citra flavors. This beer as shown in the recipe was outstanding! (If I do say so myself.) You can also see the different fermentables I used.

Sunny Friday IPA (Based on Lawson's Finest Double Sunshine Clone in BYO scaled down by 80%. Eliminated Dry Hop. Replaced with huge hop stand)

Recipe Type:*All Grain
Yeast:*Conan
Yeast Starter:*Yes - See Notes
Batch Size (Gallons):*6
Original Gravity:*1.056 Predicted
Final Gravity:*1.013 Predicted
IBU:*84
Boiling Time (Minutes):*60
Color:*5.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):*10 Days - 64F up to 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):*10 Days @ 68F
Tasting Notes:*

7.6 Lbs Marris Otter
2 Lbs Vienna Malt
10 oz. Carapils
5 oz. Caramunich (Type I)
13 oz Oat Flakes
13 oz Sugar (added at 10mins)

Mash @ 150F for 60 mins

0.6 oz Columbus @ 60 (14% AA)
0.8 oz Citra @ 20 (12.5% AA)
2.4 oz Citra @ 5 (12.5% AA)
4.8 oz Citra @ Whirlpool/Hopstand @ 180F for 30 mins (12.5% AA)

- Yeast starter from 1 vial of YeastBay Vermont Ale

- Cooled wort to 66F after boil and pitched decanted starter.
- Maintain 66- 68 for 3 days then let free rise till fermentation complete

I'd believe that. I routinely go over a full pound for 5 gallons and I can even get people that "dont drink beer" and "dont like IPA" to ask for seconds. Its all about the hopstand

Here's a Citra recipe I did, and I'm really enjoying the results. My actual OG was a little lower, ABV was 5.6%.

This has a very light body that allowed me to isolate the Citra -- I wanted to see what it could do. With such a light body, I got some very clear fruity aromas with only 1.7 oz dry hop. The trick is to dry hop cool, like 64 F, and then cold crash immediately after dry hop, which lasts only 8 days. Then 2 days at 30 F and I racked it off the hops. These cool temps help keep the most volatile components of the Citra profile in the wort instead of dissipating into the room.

I get a generic citrus-fruit with a top note of pineapple, then it finishes in a fairly assertive grapefruit.

here's the recipe:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Sunfish IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.89%
IBU (tinseth): 50.39
SRM (morey): 3.44

FERMENTABLES:
9.5 lb - American - Pilsner (76%)
3 lb - Flaked Rice (24%)

HOPS:
0.8 oz - Bravo, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 44.81
0.5 oz - Bravo, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.8, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.58
1.7 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 9 qt, Sacc rest after cereal mash
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.2 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
gu bu target .84

Make a cereal mash if using raw rice.
Mill rice to fine grist
Add 2 lbs of the pils to all the rice. 5 lb total grain in the cereal mash
Add hot 2-3 qt/lb water, 10-15 qt, to hit 156, hold 20 min
Slowly heat to boiling, hold 20-30 min, stirring constantly
Mash remaining 7.5 lbs pils at 152-154. Add cereal mash, cooling, if necessary, to 156. Hold 60 min

Thanks for the recipe. I only do BIAB- never did a cereal mash. I'll have to read up on that.

Here is the recipe I used. I am not sure about the IBU on this, but I assure you that even though it uses a 8.6 oz of hops it is not overly bitter. The key is the proportionaly large late additions of hops. You could probably scale the late hop additions back by 50% and still have a great beer with nice Citra flavors. This beer as shown in the recipe was outstanding! (If I do say so myself.) You can also see the different fermentables I used.

Sunny Friday IPA (Based on Lawson's Finest Double Sunshine Clone in BYO scaled down by 80%. Eliminated Dry Hop. Replaced with huge hop stand)

Recipe Type:*All Grain
Yeast:*Conan
Yeast Starter:*Yes - See Notes
Batch Size (Gallons):*6
Original Gravity:*1.056 Predicted
Final Gravity:*1.013 Predicted
IBU:*84
Boiling Time (Minutes):*60
Color:*5.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):*10 Days - 64F up to 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):*10 Days @ 68F
Tasting Notes:*

7.6 Lbs Marris Otter
2 Lbs Vienna Malt
10 oz. Carapils
5 oz. Caramunich (Type I)
13 oz Oat Flakes
13 oz Sugar (added at 10mins)

Mash @ 150F for 60 mins

0.6 oz Columbus @ 60 (14% AA)
0.8 oz Citra @ 20 (12.5% AA)
2.4 oz Citra @ 5 (12.5% AA)
4.8 oz Citra @ Whirlpool/Hopstand @ 180F for 30 mins (12.5% AA)

- Yeast starter from 1 vial of YeastBay Vermont Ale

- Cooled wort to 66F after boil and pitched decanted starter.
- Maintain 66- 68 for 3 days then let free rise till fermentation complete

Thanks. I'm not set up for whirlpooling so that part is out. Could I add the whirlpool amount at flameout and allow to steep for 10-15 minutes before starting the IC?
Also, I can't seem to find the Conan yeast locally. I've read that an Am Ale yeast will work. SO I assume Wyeast 1272 would be ok?

Don't get caught up in the language on the Whirlpool. I see you do BIAB. I do also. In my recipe all the "Whirlpool/Hopstand" means is you dump the hops in after the flame is out and let it sit stewing in the wort for 30 minutes.

When I did this, I did it exactly like that. I turned the flame off and dumped in the last batch of hops. If I did it again, I would cool the wort down to 180 degrees first because I did get some added bitterness.

On the yeast, any clean ale yeast will work. I think WY1272 is a great choice. I had just heard great things about Conan yeast so I wanted to try it. (I will say I think it does add something really nice to the beer. Highly recommend you try it, but I don't think it is a huge deal not to use it.)

All that being said, know that this recipe requires nothing more in equipment than a 40QT pot and a burner. I go very minimal on equipment. I use a home made chiller, a large restaurant whisk to aerate my wort and an autosiphon to transfer my wort to the fermenter. I have put far more effort into controlling fermentation temps because that is where you make the biggest improvements.

Don't get caught up in the language on the Whirlpool. I see you do BIAB. I do also. In my recipe all the "Whirlpool/Hopstand" means is you dump the hops in after the flame is out and let it sit stewing in the wort for 30 minutes.

When I did this, I did it exactly like that. I turned the flame off and dumped in the last batch of hops. If I did it again, I would cool the wort down to 180 degrees first because I did get some added bitterness.

On the yeast, any clean ale yeast will work. I think WY1272 is a great choice. I had just heard great things about Conan yeast so I wanted to try it. (I will say I think it does add something really nice to the beer. Highly recommend you try it, but I don't think it is a huge deal not to use it.)

All that being said, know that this recipe requires nothing more in equipment than a 40QT pot and a burner. I go very minimal on equipment. I use a home made chiller, a large restaurant whisk to aerate my wort and an autosiphon to transfer my wort to the fermenter. I have put far more effort into controlling fermentation temps because that is where you make the biggest improvements.

Thanks for the info. If I can get the Conan yeast from my LHBS, i'll give it a try.
Thanks for clarifying the whirlpool deal. I figured adding at flameout would be good, at least I was hoping.
I'll add this recipe to an upcoming batch. I have an Oddsides Citrus PA that will be bottled Saturday and have two batches planned for Saturday am or Sunday, that's if my kettle is received.

Latest posts

Back