kite string to suspend dry hops bag in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
So I used kite string to suspend a mesh bag of hops in my keg to dry hop prior to leaving town for a few days. String is tied outside to keg handle. I put the keg under 30 psi of pressure and vented several times to blow of room air from keg (but removed gas line and let it sit at room temp to dry hop outside keg while I'm gone).

Used a bunch of keg lube on the lid oring ... Didn't hear a leak, but didn't check the PRV prior to leaving the next morning to see if there was still pressure in the keg either. Now I see most people seem to use something thinner like dental floss or thread.

What do you think my chances are that my keg will still be pressurized when I get home? Anyone else use kite string without a leak?

I stopped doing this after wasting too much co2. I was using fishing line. I did try attaching a worm clamp to inside of the prv and tying the string to that. Worked fine. Now when I keg hop I just leave the hops in the keg. My keg hop beers are all IPA or hoppy APA, they go pretty fast and much less fussy.

I like the idea of a worm clamp. Probably would have been better off throwing in a bag of hops buy some of my kegs do last a few months. Unfortunaothing I can do now but wait.

I like the idea of a worm clamp. Probably would have been better off throwing in a bag of hops buy some of my kegs do last a few months. Unfortunaothing I can do now but wait.

when i make a 10 gallon batch of IPA I keg hop the first 5 gal right away. when that keg kicks I chill the second keg and then keg hop it. This also works if you have a keg that has been going a while but doesnt seem to have the hop character you were looking for. Take off the gas, release the pressure, and throw in a tea ball with 1/2 ounce of CTZ pellets or so.

Well f*c*, co2 escaped while I was gone. It's a 9% dipa and I probably won't be able to drink it that fast since my wife and friends aren't big ipa fans.... Hope it doesn't oxidize too fast! Next time I'm just throwing bag in.

How do you keep the bag from clogging the dip tube?

Well f*c*, co2 escaped while I was gone. It's a 9% dipa and I probably won't be able to drink it that fast since my wife and friends aren't big ipa fans.... Hope it doesn't oxidize too fast! Next time I'm just throwing bag in.

How do you keep the bag from clogging the dip tube?

The beer should not oxidize at all. You lost the co2 pressure but I would bet that when the pressure went low it still had enough to keep the air out.

I have done several by dropping the bags in. My dip tube is within 1/8 inch or so of the bottom the hops swell and puff out the bag so there is no way for it to get underneath the end of the tube.

The beer should not oxidize at all. You lost the co2 pressure but I would bet that when the pressure went low it still had enough to keep the air out.

I have done several by dropping the bags in. My dip tube is within 1/8 inch or so of the bottom the hops swell and puff out the bag so there is no way for it to get underneath the end of the tube.

I hope you're right!

Back