Kitchen Strainer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the homebrewing game and I have been getting a lot of sediment in the past couple batches. Does anyone recommend filtering wort through a fine kitchen strainer? Or will it take more flavor out of the beer, especially if brewing a pumpkin or any beer with added flavors. Any help would be great thanks!

Filtering through a kitchen strainer won't hurt and it certainly won't have any negative impact on flavor as a kitchen strainer isn't fine enough to filter out flavor......I've been brewing for two years and I don't filter and don't see any negative results from not doing so. I try to leave the sediment at the bottom of the kettle but 90% of it makes its way into the carboy but settles out just fine. I don't worry about it because my beer always turns out great.

Alright thank you for the advice, just worried not filtering the hops left in primary might make beer to bitter. I had a batch of amber ale that was almost unbearably bitter and didn't know if possibly that was the cause.

Alright thank you for the advice, just worried not filtering the hops left in primary might make beer to bitter. I had a batch of amber ale that was almost unbearably bitter and didn't know if possibly that was the cause.

Unlikely. Extracting the bittering agents from hops requires much higher temperatures than you have during fermentation...

Cheers!

I use a strainer without issue...no real hassle and only a few extra seconds. But like the posters said, it won't affect the beer. I just like to keep the trub to a minimum

Latest posts

Back