Kitchen sink vs bath tub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, would cold water coming from a kitchen sink be any different from cold water coming from your tub faucet? Someone was saying that the tub comes from a tank and the sink comes from the main water source so using water from the tub faucet to drink/brew isn't as good as using the kitchen tap water.

It's all coming from the same place. The water temperature will depend on the ambient temperature outside, more specifically the temperature about 3ft below the ground where the pipe was laid.

h22lude said:
Just out of curiosity, would cold water coming from a kitchen sink be any different from cold water coming from your tub faucet? Someone was saying that the tub comes from a tank and the sink comes from the main water source so using water from the tub faucet to drink/brew isn't as good as using the kitchen tap water.

Huh? Why would one come from a tank and the other not?

Hot water would obviously come from a hot water heater either way, cold water does not go through a water heater. Both come directly from the feed source to the home and gets distributed throughout the plumbing

Hot water will cycle through your hot water heater, cold water doesn't maybe that's what he means? I have used hot tap water before though some say not too. Have created award winning beers with it too. Well one award so far, lol! But I am a finalist in another with a beer I made with cold tap water too...

Hot water would obviously come from a hot water heater either way, cold water does not go through a water heater. Both come directly from the feed source to the home and gets distributed throughout the plumbing

damn u beat me to it:cross:

Not sure that is why I asked lol. I would have assumed they both come from the same place. Maybe he was thinking tub so must be hot water coming from the hot water tank and kitchen sink is cold water not coming from the hot water tank. Not really sure. It didn't seem right to me which is why I was curious.

The hot water from my sink and tub both come from the same water heater tank. Cold water for both comes from the supply lines. Been around home construction for many moons and most all houses piped the same exact way.

Only thing I can think of if his house has an instant water heater for the sinks, then no that won't come from a water heater tank. Since he said cold water then that throws that out.

I have had filters on my kitchen water supply in several houses I have lived in, that could make a difference... although that doesn't equal "tank" as OP mentioned

In days of yore houses contained cisterns. The cistern could be kept full with a pump (after electric lines were run) or originally by rain water collected off the roof. The kitchen had a hand pump, if water was near enough to the surface, otherwise the kitchen utilized water from the cistern also.
The person referenced by the OP could be living in one of the houses where the cistern remained. I rented a house like that in the late 70s'.

I always take hot water from the kitchen sink to fill my boil kettle. Bring it to strike temp and then pour it into my mash cooler which I also pre-heat w/hot water from the kitchen.
PS don't have a tub in the bathroom not that it makes any difference. LOL

Back