Kitchen/Hops scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LitBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a decent kitchen/hops scale that is accurate. Just bought one off amazon and it is complete trash, had to return it, they all kind of look the same to me...

I’ve been using these two scales for years and both are accurate when checked with test weights
This one came from a kitchen store; cost <$20. It’s pictured with a unopened 5 lb bag of grain it. The empty bag probably weighs 5/8 oz. Displaying partial ounces as fractions instead of decimals is a little funky but that doesn’t bother me.
48FDB0F6-E024-4773-B903-314F6940455E.jpeg

I’ve had this little, pocket size, “drug dealer” scale for about 25 years. I ordered it from a company that sells reloading and gunsmithing supplies. I think it cost around $15. It will weigh grains, grams, carats or ounces. With a 50 gram test weight it’s off .04 grams.
2462948D-EBD9-40CD-AC2C-B45BCDF7D991.jpeg

With a 100 grain test weight (there are 15.625 grains per gram) it’s dead on.

C90E4124-FF21-4E27-86C4-74FF90443AC1.jpeg

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115NB-Precision-Lightweight-Lifetime/dp/B0007GAWSC?th=1
It's been accurate every time I check it with a weight.

Same. They are durable little units. There's a reason why you see them for sale at a lot of homebrew shops.

I use this Escali model for measuring grain and larger volumes of hops. I have a small jeweler's scale for water additions and smaller hop volumes. The Escali doesn't get down to small enough increments for tenths of grams.

I have the Anvil one which is a cheap Chinese scale with their name available from a plethora of Amazon sellers. After a few years the tare button might be getting iffy but powering it on and off does the same. For $10-ish from an Amazon seller its worth it. $25-ish from Anvil, no.

Same. They are durable little units. There's a reason why you see them for sale at a lot of homebrew shops.

I use this Escali model for measuring grain and larger volumes of hops. I have a small jeweler's scale for water additions and smaller hop volumes. The Escali doesn't get down to small enough increments for tenths of grams.

I have an Escali--highly recommend it.

For water additions and other small things, I use this one.

I have one of the "drug dealer" scales that came from Harbor Freight, I believe that I paid ~$10 for it. It will weigh grains, grams, carats or ounces and works great.

Latest posts

Back