Kitchen Aid Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverz

Reaction score
Anybody have the courage to try their wife’s Kitchen Aid Grain Mill attachment for husking their malts and specialty grains ?

kitchen aide? like the stand mixer? it has a grain attachment? i would sleep on the hardwood floor for a month if she caught me using her mixer.... :D

My wife has a nice mixer that has a grain mill attachment...I bought my own mill ;)

As far as I can tell, the key to a happy marriage is to use your own equipment to brew and do it outside :D

I find that keeping my wife in her place is the best policy, and I'm not afraid to say it....well at least when she's not around :D

i got the kitchen aid when we divorced she didnt know how to raise the bowl lol. take out delivery was made for her

In my house Brewing and cooking are both owned by me, otherwise i would be living on cereal and toast for every meal.. :)

I don't want to pay $100 for the Kitchen Aid Grain Mill attachment unless I can find someone that actual used it with some success.

Sounds like it might be best to stick with a purpose built mill.

Yeah, for the money I'd just get a mill. Those mixers are nice and tough, but I ground ~45 pounds of grain last weekend. I wouldn't want to put it through that. There are nice mills out there for just a bit more.

I've had a couple of people email me or tell me that the KitchenAid attachment will work well for small jobs - partial mashes, etc. But for a large job or AG'ers - and if the attachment really is $100 - I think I'd just get a dedicated Corona or other mill.

If you go AG, you'll want a mill that has a better grind than a Corona and can be hooked to a drill so you don't have to crank.

Great thanks for the input.... Looks like i will save the money and go with dedicated crusher. Just bought some basic AG equipment and will be trying our first partial mash in the next week or so.

FWIW, my LHBS sells the one linked below. I went to a 'homebrewing demonstration' about 4-5 years ago in the parking lot of a local liquor store that was being held by a local homebrew club. I got to talking to a couple of the guys and two of them swore by this mill. I'm sure there are others like it out there that would perform the same - maybe even less expensively. But this one, I am familiar with and might buy if I do go AG:

http://schmidling.netfirms.com/orderpp.htm

Can you hook a drill to that one? You really want one that you can automate with a drill...

Oh, and definitely get the adjustable one...different grains need different grinds.

Janx said:
Can you hook a drill to that one? You really want one that you can automate with a drill...

Oh, and definitely get the adjustable one...different grains need different grinds.

Yeah, if you scroll down, they show a $50 Gear Drive Option (only for the adjustable model) $50. I'm assuming this is for attaching a drill.

This is a funny thread...
I am getting married this may, my fiancee just had her shower on sunday and we got "the mixer", when she opened it, she was so excited, and of course her family instantly mocked her (she doesn't cook) but they all laughed and said h aha ha ha, at least he knows what to do with it..
But I think if I start doing allll grain, I will most likely buy a seperate mill.. For now, my HBS has a mill in the back that any of us can go back and use..

I read that the Kitchen Aid mill attachment has about a 2 lb limit. This would be good for specialty grains, but definitely not something you want to count on for all-grain brewing. These were made for kitchen tasks. Stick with a brewing roller mill, you'll be a lot happier.

Thanks will do, pretty funny idea thou of taking the kitchen aid out to the backyard....

I have a little hand mill, but haven't used it to crack the brewing grains. The brew store where I get my stuff just mixes and grinds the grains in a minute or two, no charge. Guess I don't see the need with such good service at the local homebrew store. Nice guys, too, with lots of advice. Kitchen Aide has a mill for their mixer, but I think it is pricey.

Since I am the cook in our house also, and since I just got myself one of those professional gas ranges (Thermador), nobody argues when I say it is time for brewing! Only arguement I get is when I want to drink some - I'm only allowed 2-3 pints per week. Sheesh!! I'd rather argue for the cooking space now that my brew is getting really good (I'm on my 6th batch - better each time).

fsinger said:
- I'm only allowed 2-3 pints per week. Sheesh!! I'd rather argue for the cooking space now that my brew is getting really good (I'm on my 6th batch - better each time).

You mean 2-3 pints per DAY, don't you? 'cause otherwise it's just not human.

Kephren said:
You mean 2-3 pints per DAY, don't you? 'cause otherwise it's just not human.

No, it's per week. I know, it sounds nuts, but when you have over indulged as a young person (30 years ago) it makes sense to be cautious. I'm just glad to be able to enjoy some at all. I spent 30 years without ANYTHING, so I'm sort of re-learning the basics.

Believe it or not, I could hardly choke down my first beer after 30 years, it tasted awful. Well, it was a commercial beer, which still tastes like crap to me.

Basically, some people need to set realistic limits. I'm just glad I can brew again and enjoy it once in a while.

homebrewer_99 said:
I just put my grains in a large zip-lock freezer bag and use a rolling pin on it. Good exercise.

Same here. But I'd like to compare the zip-lock crush to one that has been done on a mill by someone who knows what they are doing. I'd like to visually compare the two and see if there is a noticeable difference; i.e., is it more uniform and effecient?

Plus, I bet the zip-lock method would become too much of a workout if I went all-grain! ;)

Rhoobarb said:
I bet the zip-lock method would become too much of a workout if I went all-grain! ;)

You bet! I wouldn't even think of it.

For all grain I'd put the grains in a box and cover it then smash it with a 15 lb sledge hammer....then....

Then again, what's wrong with using one of those old wringer type washing machines? There's got to be a lot of rednecks willing to clean off their porches? :D

Latest posts

Back