Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
Doing a Island Mist kit and the instructions say:

Step 2 rack to secondary and leave for 10 days...OK fine.

Step 3 specifically says DO NOT RACK, but add in the metabi, sorbate, f pack, and Chitosan and stir the crap out of the must

My question...after 10 days in Step 2, why would you not rack to a clean carboy and then do step 3? Seems odd if in step 3 you are trying to clear the wine, but you stir up all the sediment back up into solution again. Sounds counter-productive to me.

Can any one explain this for me?

Thanks

The finings in the kit are attracted to particles in the wine and those particles keep attracting other particles until they get heavy enough to sink to the bottom. Guess the stirring up stsrtsvthe process quicker.

Remember, kits are all about you getting it in the bottle so you will buy another. Lots of us just let the wine sit 3 to 6 months to clear. No profit in that!

The finings in the kit are attracted to particles in the wine and those particles keep attracting other particles until they get heavy enough to sink to the bottom. Guess the stirring up stsrtsvthe process quicker.

Remember, kits are all about you getting it in the bottle so you will buy another. Lots of us just let the wine sit 3 to 6 months to clear. No profit in that!

BINGO! Got an email answer to this question back from the manufacture. They said the same thing you did, but with added talk about negative and positive charges attracting particles. Oh well, still seems odd to me, but I will follow their instructions.

Thanks Doc

Latest posts

Back