Kit question and I'm hooked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HavingFun

Reaction score
Ok, I just made my very first batch of beer on Saturday. I am hooked! I made an extract kit from Midwest - the Irish Red Ale. I thought I would keep making the extracts for a while until I get my confidence level and skills up, then try my hand at all grain sometime in the future.

My question about extract kits - would some of you share your ideas on which kits (brand of kits) you like and why you like them? Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated. I liked the kit I used - from Midwest - it came with some grains, so I got a chance to get a feel for steeping grains first and two different hop packages - one for bittering and one for aroma/flavoring. It was really an enjoyable experience, I can see why so many people really get into beer making.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information you'd like to pass on.

Patricia

Ive had good luck with Midwest's kits, I did a few of them before I started making my own recipes. Ive also done one Northern Brewer kit as well.

As far as extract kits go I dont think there is anything wrong with doing the Midwest ones, good stuff.

Well, I've had good experiences with Midwest, as well as austinhomebrew.com. I've had some good Brewer's Best kits, too, if they are fresh. I can recommend any of those, as well as kits from Nothern Brewer. Northern Brewer has a great catalogue, so visit their website and request one. Not only do they have all the products listed, but a full description of the styles and a complete description of all the hops and malts later on. It's good for referencing, as well as buying things out of it! I get most things from either austinhomebrew.com or nothern Brewer because of the flat (and reasonable) shipping rates.

I've got one of Northern's kits in bottles and I am about to try a second one in the next week or so (whenever my burner shows up). I like them quite a bit and they are pretty high quality as far as kits are concerned.

I second the idea of getting their catalogue. It is one of the better ones out there.

HavingFun said:
...I made an extract kit from Midwest......I liked the kit I used - from Midwest...It was really an enjoyable experience...

I'd say if it ain't broke...keep using Midwest. They have some great kits and are generous with their ingredient portions.

Do a few different recipes from there, and you're growing knowledge will get you to the next phases of brewing (partial mashes, all grain...etc.).

Congratulations...welcome to the hobby and welcome to the forum.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! I downloaded the catalog from Northern Brewer and sent away for hard copy, also checked out austinhomebrew.

It looks like my first batch is fermenting nicely, have my fingers crossed for success on the first one.

Thanks again to everyone. This seems like a really nice forum full of friendly, helpful folks.

HavingFun said:
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! I downloaded the catalog from Northern Brewer and sent away for hard copy, also checked out austinhomebrew.

It looks like my first batch is fermenting nicely, have my fingers crossed for success on the first one.

Thanks again to everyone. This seems like a really nice forum full of friendly, helpful folks.

you are in the right place for good answers and suggestions. You received help from some of the best around here. Best of luck with your future brews.

Back