Kit instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelinhoppy

Reaction score
Does anyone know of online brew stores that have brewing instructions when you buy a recipe kit?

austins also tells you the weight and quantity of the grains and hops. You don't only buy the kit. You also buy the recipe so you can replicate it by buying everything at your local home brew store.

Title is strange for this thread. I think most kits come with the weights of extract/grain and amounts of hops.

I've bought kits from both Austins and Norther Brewer and both had instructions. Same with Brewer's Best kits. NB has the recipies/instructions on thier website, so you can see beforehand what the instructions will be.

In my opinion NB has the best instructions MoreBeer ones are not great. Northern Brewer also has a lot if great videos on their site for help too!

In my opinion NB has the best instructions MoreBeer ones are not great. Northern Brewer also has a lot if great videos on their site for help too!

I agree, but I am a full fledged NB fan boy (or so I have been called)......... So take my opinion with that in mind.

I used this title thread cuz I was looking at them for buying my supplies. Nb sounds like a good site though. Thanks.

It sort of depends on what you are looking for. I went with NB at first because their site was so easy to navigate, but they really have some nice product. However, I have been looking at Morebeer's $.50/beer kits lately. If you get 3 or more at a time, shipping is free. They are pretty basic beers, but I'm thinking they might make a decent base to experiment off of. The big plus I see at Austin is their HUGE selection of recipes. Nobody else even compares!

call Brew Brothers www.brewbrothers.biz and they are happy to help you with kits and instructions. Tell them what you want and they'll pkg it all up fresh for ya and ship it out. Their prices are far better than any I've seen.

BrewBrothers does have very cheap prices, but no kits, no recipes, no instructions. Also their shipping is about twice that of everyone else.

In my opinion the "big 3" for online are NB, Midwest supplies, and Austin Homebrew.

I've ordered from all 3 and am confident that they back what they sell.
Personally, as far as beer kits, I am the least impressed with NB beer kits based in the end result... They have more odd-ball stuff which could be good or bad.
Midwest kits are consistently better recipes in my opinion.
AHS has a ****- ton of recipes and options for each and I have only tried a couple but they have been some of the best beers I've made.

I bought 3 kits from AHBS 2 weeks ago and all of them came with instructions. Pretty detailed and have all the quantities listed. Good to go in my book.

I bought 3 kits from AHBS 2 weeks ago and all of them came with instructions. Pretty detailed and have all the quantities listed. Good to go in my book.

And if you order online, you should get access to the recipe via their website along with them sending printed instructions.

And if you order online, you should get access to the recipe via their website along with them sending printed instructions.

Hm never noticed having access to the recipe via their website, only the hardcopies, although its been an awful long time since I've actually ordered a kit.

Is this something you can go back and look at via previous purchases?

I should be getting a honey hibiscus wit kit from Austinhomebrew today and brew tomorrow. It is my first time doing mini-mash. Hope the beer lives up to their reputation.

We have the largest selection of tried and true recipes and they come with full instructions. Take the time to read the comments on a kit you are interested in. Most reviews say it is the best beer they have made so far. Take other homebrewer's word for it.

For example...."I have brewed about 20 "mini mashes" from other suppliers and this beer is the best I have ever brewed." -Pat

Ehh, still cant see the actual recipe. All it shows are the options I selected at order time:

AHS Pumpkin Ale on Monday 11 October, 2010
- 1% Alcohol Boost: No
- Priming Sugar: Include Priming Sugar
- Cold Pack: No
- Beer Bottle Caps: Yes
- BrewVint Yeast Fuel: No
- Yeast Option: None
- Kit Option: Mini-Mash - DME
There are 35 customer comments about this product. View Comments?
Add Comments

I'm sure if you email them, they'll give it to you. They do it all the time for their FB fans.

and yes, I'm a major AHS fangirl. All their kits are great. I even buy them with dry yeast.

I have ordered two kits from AHS and they have the most complete instructions you will find. Their reputation is second to none.
I was unsure at first because I wanted to see what was in the recipe to see if I even wanted the kit. I use their recipe ranking page to help in some decisions.

aubiecat said:
I was unsure at first because I wanted to see what was in the recipe to see if I even wanted the kit.

This is probably the biggest reason I have stuck with Northern Brewer. I guess I am a bit of a control freak. I need to know what I am buying. That is probably the main reason homebrewing appealed to me as well.

I am also a penny pincher. More than straight cost though, I look for value. So when I saw the complete ingredient list on the Northern Brewer kits I went to a couple other sites and created a shopping cart at each to make sure kit prices were a better value. The sites I checked came out $2-$5 higher than the NB kit price.

Now that I more comfortable in the process and I've heard only positive things on here about Austin, I have been looking over their site a lot the last week. My cupboard is bare and I have a Primary that will be empty soon...

I'm sure if you email them, they'll give it to you. They do it all the time for their FB fans.

and yes, I'm a major AHS fangirl. All their kits are great. I even buy them with dry yeast.
I tried shooting them an email about a kit before and never got a reply. Maybe it's because I'm not a FB user? :drunk: NB doesn't have as many kits, but they return my emails and have live chat on their website (have used it many times) which is useful. I wish more sites would adopt it! :ban:

Back