Kit instructions say to rack to secondary BEFORE fermenting stops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRollFun

Reaction score
...but the feel I get from the board is to let fermentation complete before racking into a secondary. The kit in question is the BB Falconers Flight IPA.
Any thoughts to which way is better? I've never racked a batch into secondary before.

Wait till fermentation stops before racking to a secondary always. I have never racked that early. But have heard you could stall fermentation by racking to a secondary to quickly.

Actually the growing consensus is that secondaries aren't needed unless you plan on dry hopping or doing fuit/etc. additions.

That being said, IMO you should rack when primary fermentation is almost-but-not-quite done. You want a little bit of co2 produced to push out the air at the top of the carboy; but you don't want to pull it too early and pull it off the yeast cake.

I've done both secondary and just leaving it in the primary for the entire duration and when it comes to having crystal clear beer there is virtually no difference.

Not needed? Sure.

Not beneficial? I'd argue against that.

I didn't say it wasn't beneficial and I didn't mean to imply that. I was just replying that the general opinion on this forum is that a secondary isn't necessary--that's the aggregate opinion I get from browsing. Obviously there are times when you should secondary. Also, it's personal opinion on what's the "proper" way to do it (unless you know of some studies.) And the only anecdotal evidence I gave was on clarity, and nothing else at all.

There. Hopefully I rebuffed your argumentative post while not seeming offensive. :fro:

It took me a few years before I realized that a huge portion of homebrewing dogma is completely based on group-think and repeated rumors. Not saying that common practice or popular opinion is wrong, it's just generally unproven from a scientific standpoint.

First we had to secondary because of autolysis of yeast, then a few people realized that autolysis was unlikely due to a lack of pressure at homebrew volumes. Then we are told to skip the secondary because it's not needed. Now we're told to skip the secondary because we're introducing oxygen and ruining our beers by racking.

Is any of that actually scientifically proven or is it all just a continuous tide of opinion that may or may not be based on proveable conditions?

The one thing that has remained proven and true throughout my homebrew education is: "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew."

Seriously, greatest contribution to homebrewing ever.

I agree 100%. The thing about it that gets me is that people from both sides of the camp--no matter what the topic--are still brewing what they think is great beer. So that just proves that unless you violate the basic principles of brewing (you don't sanitize, or you try to dry hop with raw steak) the best way to learn what works and what doesn't is to try it both ways, and go with what you felt worked best.

People have been brewing since long before the internet* so there are definitely many tried and true methods. Still, there are many methods that have been around for hundreds of years that are directly opposite of other methods. Yet people still make what they think is great beer. So, yes, RDWHAHB.

*I read once that the original internet was the Tower of Babel. It grew out of control and god destroyed it. Now we are repeating the same event. ^

^This is completely not true--I just made it up.

Eh. Sure. Not at all backed up.

If you listen to the podcasts or web shows, there's plenty of expert opinions being put forth. Guess what, soon thereafter, usually they're repeated here.

I certainly know that my brews have improved substantially since I started reading here.

Excellent, thanks everyone. I plan on taking a gravity reading and going from there to decide the method I'll use for dry-hopping.

Experience is the best teacher I'm sure, but I do appreciate hearing the opinions of those that have already gone done the road.

The opinions I put forth about dry hopping,primary only & the like are from my personal experiences & observations. And 50% of all science is observation. Some things I've done repeatedly & got clear beer,plenty of aroma,etc. I share them because they worked for me time & again. Just thought I'd mention that. Not all of us are just spouting popular theory. I figured out many things by trial & error.

I agree 100%. The thing about it that gets me is that people from both sides of the camp--no matter what the topic--are still brewing what they think is great beer. So that just proves that unless you violate the basic principles of brewing (you don't sanitize, or you try to dry hop with raw steak) the best way to learn what works and what doesn't is to try it both ways, and go with what you felt worked best.

People have been brewing since long before the internet* so there are definitely many tried and true methods. Still, there are many methods that have been around for hundreds of years that are directly opposite of other methods. Yet people still make what they think is great beer. So, yes, RDWHAHB.

*I read once that the original internet was the Tower of Babel. It grew out of control and god destroyed it. Now we are repeating the same event. ^

^This is completely not true--I just made it up.
As I've said before:

"Make your beer the way you want it to be made, do your own research and come to your own conclusions. At the same time, remember to heed the advice of the giants who's backs you stand on. That is how you grow your ability and become a great brewer.

You want to know if you should stop using a secondary? Stop using a secondary. You will know when you drink the beer if you made the right decision."

To this end, I no longer secondary my beer. I've found no tangible benefit from doing so. Less work is the reason I give. Sure you could infect your beer (bad sanitation on secondary vessel), you could introduce oxygen (poor racking technique), you could see some benefit from the secondary (more time to let the yeast settle, more time aging the beer, etc). All of this is true from anything we do. Racking to my keg could introduce O2 and or infect the beer. Racking to bottles the same.

So try it out and make an informed decision. My beer has only gotten better the more I brew, and I always make sure to try a new technique with each new batch. I've not found any 'tried and true' techniques to be bad be it fly vs batch vs brew in a bag, secondary vs no secondary, force carbing vs bulk priming, FWH/hop bursting vs traditional hoping, etc. The good sanitation, care in ingredient selection, and hitting my temps seems to make the best impacts on my beer. Everything else is about time, money, and personal preference.

To the OP's question. I say the 'simple' solution is to just wait 2-3 weeks, check the gravity for 2 days, if it's the same then you can either wait another week or rack to a secondary, it's your call. You don't need to do it before fermentation is complete because the racking will cause C02 to be released from the beer and push out a lot of O2. I've had to let some beers sit for 4 weeks before I racked to a secondary without any issue.

I'm by no means a expert, but I've learned to just be comfortable with the process that works for me. As long as I enjoy my beer I could care less if I'm brewing it wrong.

John Palmer says in his last book that secondary is not beneficial and not needed anymore.

I rarely use a secondary.

There is one situation when a secondary is essential.
If the beer is ready to be transferred to a secondary, and doing so is going to free up a primary to start a new batch; and ensure that you don't run out of beer.

-a.

There is one situation when a secondary is essential.
If the beer is ready to be transferred to a secondary, and doing so is going to free up a primary to start a new batch; and ensure that you don't run out of beer.

-a.

:off:

I started off never doing secondaries and I was one of the few local brewers I hang with when I can that didn't rack to a secondary. Found this place and realized that many others do not transfer either!

But lately, I have changed my tune because of the same reason as quoted above. Got tired of running out of beer. And because I also switched from glass to plastic buckets when I found this site. So much easier to tote around. So now I have limited plastic space available, so moving to smaller vessels frees up more space, more quickly. Eventually, I will get more plastic equipment, but for now, working with what I got.

Back on topic, just follow instructions to start with and it'll be fine. You can try other suggestions later, after you've got quite a few brews under your belt.

Latest posts

Back