Kirkland Beer Lineup Change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyworld

Reaction score
So. I was browsing my local Costco just yesterday (I live on Long Island in NY) and lo and behold, Kirkland Signature has removed the German Style Lager and the Hefeweisen from their case and replaced them with an IPA and a Belgian White.

This is good news to me as the German lager and hefeweisen were my least favorite but to others who enjoyed them, there MIGHT still be some time to find them. Definitely looking forward to the IPA and white though. Nonetheless, it's still $18.99 around here -- always better than buying buying empty bottles from a LHBS for $13 and up.

More details to come once I go back to pick up a case. :D

I would be interested in the IPA and White as well. I felt that all the beers in that pack were "meh" in my opinion. Like you said though, its like buying bottles, with the bonus that they are filled with beer!

I'm particularly fond of the Amber Ale with the Pale Ale taking a sort of distant second.

In the least, Kirkland's exposure might catch the attention of people who wouldn't normally purchase craft beer. Hopefully the beer is indicative of the style. Using a "no name" beer and brewing it to style will help people become more familiar with different styles. This is a particularly good thing when you have friends who are BMC guys out of habit or out of fear of trying something new. Match that with the customer trust of the Kirkland name and they just might be grabbing a whole new audience who may even look beyond what Costco has to offer.

hmm, may have to pick up a case on my Costco run tomorrow. I've bought a few cases in the past of the old lineup, it definitely doesn't disappoint for the price, but I do wish that they would offer it in 12 packs or cases of single varieties. I wasn't a huge fan of the German Lager, so I can't say that I'll miss it.

I'm sure they will never offer them in a case of a single variety or a twelve pack. It's just not their style. They would have to now carry 5 different cases; one of each beer style plus their mixed case and most warehouses just don't have the room for that. Best bet is to find a buddy or 3 who you can split up the case(s) with. I've done that before with a case of Guinness I've gotten there.

The one thing I could see Costco doing is a "premium" beer in a twelve pack or something like that. I wouldn't expect this anytime soon, however, as they are still fairly new to the private label beer market.

Perhaps even if not private label, they might find a craft brewery who can handle the volume. (As a side note, they carried a three pack of 22oz Ommegang brewery this holiday season with a gorgeous glass for $21; made a really nice gift). Have you guys seen anything else like this at either Costco, Sam's Club, or BJ's and where?

I'm sure they will never offer them in a case of a single variety or a twelve pack. It's just not their style. They would have to now carry 5 different cases; one of each beer style plus their mixed case and most warehouses just don't have the room for that. Best bet is to find a buddy or 3 who you can split up the case(s) with. I've done that before with a case of Guinness I've gotten there.

The one thing I could see Costco doing is a "premium" beer in a twelve pack or something like that. I wouldn't expect this anytime soon, however, as they are still fairly new to the private label beer market.

Perhaps even if not private label, they might find a craft brewery who can handle the volume. (As a side note, they carried a three pack of 22oz Ommegang brewery this holiday season with a gorgeous glass for $21; made a really nice gift). Have you guys seen anything else like this at either Costco, Sam's Club, or BJ's and where?

Are you talking about Costco carrying mass volumes of craft beer? Being in the bay area, they usually sell 24 packs of Lagunitas at a good price. That's about as "private label" as I've seen though.

I was just looking at that pack in our local Costco a week or so ago and they still had the German Lager and Hefeweizen in there.

On the other hand they do have a Firestone variety pack that's got their pale, DBA, Union Jack, which are all good beers.

We had the Ommegang 3 pack and also had a 4-pk of Duvel with a glass for $15 down here at Costco this past fall.

Costco stores in Chicagoland (not sure if its the same all over the country) use two brothers brewing to manufacure their craft beers. I confirmed this on a brewery tour at two brothers.

Almost 100% sure they use the Matt Brewing Company for New York. Matt Brewing makes Saranac and does a bunch of other contract brewing if I'm not mistaken. Brooklyn Brewery is the first that comes to mind.

Our local Costco (San Diego/Poway area) usually stocks either 24-packs or 12-packs of craft beers - many of them local. Stone and Karl Strauss are available through the year. Recently they also stocked Ballast Point and Anderson Valley. Last year, they did a showcase of local craft breweries - Green Flash and Lost Abbey bottles were available as singles!

Almost 100% sure they use the Matt Brewing Company for New York. Matt Brewing makes Saranac and does a bunch of other contract brewing if I'm not mistaken. Brooklyn Brewery is the first that comes to mind.

Last time I was at Costco, I looked at the box and it actually said Matt Brewing on it. The only reason I didn't pick it up was because my cart was absolutely over-flowing. I am probably making a trip there this week and will get a case this time.

Back