Kinda not sure about this scoby... Everything is tasting and smelling normal. But...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
I've had this scoby for about 2 months now in a continuous brew and the kombucha is tasting great and i've had no adverse affects from it. I'd like to hear your opinion on how it looks as I think it doesn't look optimal compared to the ones in other posts.

20160109_062048.jpg

20160109_062055.jpg

20160109_062105.jpg

20160109_062109.jpg

Everything looks mostly normal to me, I think the dark areas are just yeast deposits. If you're concerned you can always remove the mother and peel off any layers that look suspicious to you.

Everything looks mostly normal to me, I think the dark areas are just yeast deposits. If you're concerned you can always remove the mother and peel off any layers that look suspicious to you.

and what if the layers underneath are darker than the layers on top. is that normal?

The darker layers most likely just have yeast deposits. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're getting some strange smells and flavors. Mold would be a definite no go.

One of the good things about continuous brewing is that the culture is maintaining a mildly alcoholic, very acidic environment. That alone will keep almost anything pathogenic out. If anything does get in, it is quickly overrun by the kombucha culture, since it has been bred and conditioned for this kind of environment.

I've had this scoby for about 2 months now in a continuous brew and the kombucha is tasting great and i've had no adverse affects from it. I'd like to hear your opinion on how it looks as I think it doesn't look optimal compared to the ones in other posts.

DAMN! I wish mine looked that good! Man you are golden! Nothing to worry about there at all.

Cheers
Jay

How do you keep the fly eggs out? The double-layer hairnet didn't work for me.

I use a cotton bar towel and a rubber band, but I have used paper towel before. I wouldn't recommend hairnets, or even cheese cloth. Anything a fruit fly can go through will end up filled with them.

Back