Kinda bummed.. Forgot the whirfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin06111

Reaction score
Brew day went well (after I replaced the propane tank) and I nailed the OG. Pitched US-05 and within 12 hours it was happily fermenting and bubbling up a storm. Today (3 days later) I went to check on it and found I forgot to use the whirlfloc to clarify the beer. While I'm not worried that my beer is ruined I'm kind bummed it may be a little cloudy. With all that said is it safe to boil the tablet now and add it to the carboy or should I just skip it? How much difference does it make anyway?

If it matters here is the recipe and I started with a full boil.

Specialty Grains:
1.5 Crystal 15L
8 OZ Honey Malt

LME:
8 lbs Ultralight

Hops:
2 oz cascade @60
2 oz willamette @ 5
2 oz cascade @ 1

NOT that big of a deal. Don't lose any sleep over it. Alot of beers clear fine without it depending on the wort composition, yeast strain, etc. You also used extract which is made from wort that is boiled for about 15 - 20 minutes prior to vacuum evaporation. This short boil removes much of the proteins and tannins as trub.

Dr Malt

There is no point in adding it now. It needed to be in the boil. No sweat though, do a search on this forum for cold crashing, gelatin and isinglass. All that can be done later if a quicker clarity is important.

There is a lot of evidence to suggest that all Whirlfloc does is make the protein clump bigger and easier to see. A bunch of brewers will tell you that their beer is perfectly clear without Whirlfloc, just time and cold conditioning like the previous poster suggests. I use it, because it makes me feel better, I like to get the break out before I put it in the fermenter.

Awesome. Was leaning on riding it out anyway.. My Octoberfest was clear without but the kit didn't some with one.. Good to know I should be all set.

Thanks

MEH.. nothing wrong with cloudy beer anyway

Awesome. Was leaning on riding it out anyway.. My Octoberfest was clear without but the kit didn't some with one.. Good to know I should be all set.

Thanks

You still might want to look deeper into gelatin though. It is cheap and easy, and your local grocer has it. :)

The funny thing is that no one notices until you point it out. My brother is a big fan of the home brew and I mentioned to him that I've been having problems with getting clear beer. He raised his glass up to the light and said, "Huh, I guess you're right. But it's never lasted long enough for me to notice."

As long as it's tasty, I'm sure you won't get any complaints. :D

The funny thing is that no one notices until you point it out. My brother is a big fan of the home brew and I mentioned to him that I've been having problems with getting clear beer. He raised his glass up to the light and said, "Huh, I guess you're right. But it's never lasted long enough for me to notice."

As long as it's tasty, I'm sure you won't get any complaints. :D

I agree that clarity is the least important aspect of the beer. It's just my feeling that if you ever manage to brew a beer that you feel is near perfection......Well, if it's clear too, then it is perfecter! (New word) :D

It may be psychological, but I always feel the carbonation and mouthfeel are better when the beer clears. Tighter bubbles, more moussy head. My beers also have crappy head retention until they have sat in the fridge for a week or two.

Jamil and John Palmer both alluded to this as well on the lagering episode of Brew Strong.

Latest posts

Back