Kinda Beginner / Kinda DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-tastic

Reaction score
I've built a Fermentation Chamber recently, and have been upgrading it over the last few days. Clean coat of paint and some wheels go a long way :)

I've also scored a bucket of Chalkboard Paint, and decided to make the front of the chamber a chalkboard to jot notes on. I was going to stencil categories on the front, and "fill in the blanks" as i use it, but wanted to see if I got everything on it.

Am I missing something? should I be checking something else while fermenting? Any other useful info you'd put on the front?

ferm chamber front.jpg

Maybe a section at the bottom for "Notes" or "Extra instructions" like if you're supposed to raise/lower the temps after x number of days, or adding dryhops/sugar/spice additions, racking or something like that.

Excellent point. The image as-is is way smaller than the front of the box, so I could put a notes section easily in there.

Here's a revised version with a notes field. i also reversed the color, seeing as the background will be black.

The red line in the middle represents the bungee cord i use to keep the door on :)

ferm chamber front.jpg

Not to sound stupid... (but I will) is that really styrofoam surrounded by wood w a few computer fans and a thermostat? And you cool it w water bottles?

Not to sound stupid... (but I will) is that really styrofoam surrounded by wood w a few computer fans and a thermostat? And you cool it w water bottles?

That's all any Fermentation Chamber is. The "Styrofoam" is extruded foam insulation (R Value=5), in 2 layers. once it hits temp (around 65 ish) 1 20oz bottle keeps it at temp for 24 hours or more. I know to change the bottle when the fans kick on for an extended time.

A lot of these things are done in just foam, but the wood was scrap and lends a lot to the durability, obviously.

If you have the wort chilled to the proper temperature before it goes into the chamber and don't let the yeast get started warming up it won't take too much to keep it cool. It's when the temperature starts climbing that the yeast get more active and give off more heat which makes them work faster which gives off more heat... kind of a runaway like a nuclear reactor can have (meltdown).

Some people use a small refrigerator (dorm frig) for their cooling source and add the chamber to the front in place of the door.

So do the fans run to circulate the cool air or only when it reaches a certain temp

So do the fans run to circulate the cool air or only when it reaches a certain temp

The fans kick on when the thermostat hits a high temp. they blow air over the ice bottles (which cools the air) and the cold air falls through holes to the fermentation area. There is another hole near the thermostat for warm air (since warm air rises) to get pushed out as cold air fills up the box.

I make it sound a lot more technical than it is, but that's because i want to feel better about myself :)

they are easy to build, just google "Son of Fermentation Chiller"

Happy building! These area easy and simple builds, especially for the southern brewer. It's too warm and humid most of the time down here to just brew in your house, or with a swamp cooler. Everyone has to have their tricks! :)

Latest posts

Back