Killing Lacto?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippin37

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used my carboy to do a sour mash and now I am boiling that mash to kill off the lacto so I can keg and not have any worries about infection. My question is, will dish soap kill the lacto in my carboy?

Soap doesn't actually do any killing, unless it is spiked with antibiotics (which we are learning was a bad idea), it just surrounds debris to be rinsed off.

My suggestion would be to stick with the regular brewery cleaning scheme...ie. PBW or oxyclean, rinse, sanitize. However, if this is a plastic carboy, your chances of contaminating your next brew are a bit higher. You might consider labeling this carboy as your sour-carboy from here on out, as many people do.

Don't forget about any siphon hoses you may have used. Star san should take care of it.

Ok thanks. It is getting the Oxyclean treatment then. I may also keep it for sours only as you mentioned, unless I am all out of options for a non sour beer.

Latest posts

Back