Kids These Days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really like my daughter's boyfriend. He's respectful, considerate, and seems mostly responsible. I say mostly because he likes to buy expensive sneakers. I guess it's kind of a collector thing, and what 21 year old kid doesn't spend hard earned money on foolishness?

Oh yeah- And he's the only person who shows the slightest interest in my brewing. But he doesn't come over and guzzle my keg. I offer, and he accepts one or two. Then rinses out the glass and places it upside down in the sink.

I'm about ready to go kiss his momma for teaching him right. Most of the boys that age that I hear about are selfish, lazy little wusses, looking for a girl to support their lame a$ses. And most of the girls put up with that attitude, or worse, have that mindset, and are pi$s poor mothers to their children.

/End of rant/

As the father of FOUR lovely daughters, I gotta agree. Three of my four are attached to rather sturdy, responsible, intelligent males. The last one isn't...yet. She's concentrating on finishing her Ph.D. in neurobiology at Tulane University, New Orleans, in May 2013. Then, she may well become attached to another rather sturdy, responsible, intelligent male. And the three males ARE interested in my brews!

glenn514:mug:

Most of the boys that age that I hear about are selfish, lazy little wusses, looking for a girl to support their lame a$ses. And most of the girls put up with that attitude, or worse, have that mindset, and are pi$s poor mothers to their children.

/End of rant/

Meh, I don't think it's that bad. That's an unfair generalization. I won't sit here and brag on my 21 yr old boy, but he and most of his friends are courteous to a fault. So, that's my 2 cents.

Good job, pawn. My son and his fiancee bought a house last year, a month after their 22nd birthdays. They work hard, save money, and have really put some work into updating the house. My future DIL had her own business at 19, and sold it for a profit. There are some good kids out there, but they seem a rarity.

I'm quite proud of my son. He's a pretty honorable hard working guy and has integrity as are the friends of his I've met.

I don't think my son is the exception to the rule. There are many fine young men out there still.

My son will be 21 in a few months. Maybe a bit lazy but he's kind and friendly (a bit shy) but people tell me all the time how nice and polite he is. Can't say he has the same attitude towards mom and dad but I guess I was the same way.
I will say that many kids these days have already been taught to have a hand out (like our society I guess) but when it comes to winning the heart of a girl, they know they better represent or girlfriend's dad won't put up with him.

I have two kids. My daughter is 13 and she is a little sweetheart. She doesn't have much ambition to do things on her own, but when I ask her to do something, it gets done. She gets it done in her own time and on her schedule, but unless it has anything to do with school, I rarely have to ask more than once.

My son is 15 and doesn't have a job yet but there aren't any places around here who hire 15 year olds. All of his friends are great kids. Very polite and courteous. I don't like to admit that I am as old as I am so it always sounds weird when they call me Mr. Mendez and I have to keep politely asking them to just call me by my first name. And from all of the parents I've met, it sounds like he is the same around them.

Now, his girlfriend is another matter. She recently turned 16 but won't be getting her license any time soon. She wants a job desperately, so it seems to me that she is sufficiently motivated. Thus far she has worked plenty, but it mostly consisted of babysitting and housework for an elderly neighbor. But on the other hand she is a DRAMA QUEEN! She is an only child and has never had to share so I try to keep that in mind, but she absolutely has to know where my son is at all times. If a girl that he knows comments on his Facebook crap, she has been known to go off the handle. Sweet girl, very respectful, but if my boy stays with her, it's going to be an interesting ride for him:cross:

I have two daughters and one son. My two daughters aren't quite to the age yet, but getting there quick. My oldest (14) is really stepping up to the plate when it comes to getting things done around the house. She and I don't see eye-to-eye on everything, but she is a great kid. She is starting to assert her independence already and we have to let her go (to a point). The point where we will see her less and less is coming fast. She babysits when she can and doesn't ask for extra cash to buy things she wants; she really has an idea what it costs to buy stuff. Now, her brother (11) and her little sister (9) are also great kids, but they don't have the intelligence or experience my oldest has. My oldest has no boyfriend yet, but that time is coming quick, as she is entering high-school in a couple months.

Back