Kid name help......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
Ok Our son is almost 4 months old, we call him Griff.

Our original name "Gryphon" Has been so poo pooed by family members,(I know fu@k them, but now my wife is second guessing)

I was and am Matt, one of about 60 in my senior class of high school. I will be damned if my son will go through that.

Our daughter is named Aurora, we call her Rori. It has been great. Parents are so jealous that we went out on a limb and came up with a fairly original name.

Our option now is Griffin, Gryphon, or Gryffin.

A Gryphon is a mythical creature with the head of an eagle body of a lion etc.

We are not into D&D or anything, honestly I loved the nickname "Griff" and my wife loved Gryphon.

I am not sure it matters, but I promised I would put it to you guys.

No offense to anyone, but complete 180 suggestions such as Hunter, Lance, Johnathan need not reply. Thanks in advance.

Any old family names, going back a few generations that might work? This is a hard one, and honestly I've never personally heard of a situation where a kid wasn't named before being born (but I know it happens). Good Luck.

You could go all Snoop on 'em..."Gryzziffin" has a nice ring to it...and then you have the added benefit of nicknaming him 'Gryzzly".

Yes. You must do this.

I think Griffin is a great name.

Too bad the family doesn't like calling him that. Does he have a middle name he could go by instead?

I like Gryphon.

But maybe choose a "safe" middle name as a back up. I say "safe" cause no matter what kids will find ways to make fun.

I (um, and my wife) named my boy Kiernan (Keer - Nan) Alexander. That way, if for any reason he gets a lot of **** for the name Kiernan, he can go by Alexander, Alex, Lex,......:p

Beerthoven said:
I think Griffin is a great name.

Too bad the family doesn't like calling him that. Does he have a middle name he could go by instead?

Lol, Doh! His middle name is Matthew lol.

He was named well before birth. Gryphon.

We now have papers in our hands to have his birth certificate and SOC SEC card altered.

That is why I am asking.

I like "Griffin," I might just go with that spelling. Or, pick a more-traditional first name, use Griffin as the official middle name, but call him Griff/Griffin. John Griffin LastName, James Griffin LastName, Michael Griffin LastName. When he gets older, he can choose to go with the "traditional" name or something that's more unique.

cheezydemon said:
Lol, Doh! His middle name is Matthew lol.

He was named well before birth. Gryphon.

We now have papers in our hands to have his birth certificate and SOC SEC card altered.

That is why I am asking.

I don't see why you need to legally change anything.

He can just go by G. Matthew Cheezydemon.

I think that works!

GilaMinumBeer said:
I like Gryphon.

But maybe choose a "safe" middle name as a back up. I say "safe" cause no matter what kids will find ways to make fun.

I (um, and my wife) named my boy Kiernan (Keer - Nan) Alexander. That way, if for any reason he gets a lot of **** for the name Kiernan, he can go by Alexander, Alex, Lex,......:p

HOLY CRAP!! Kiernan was our second choice.

I thought it had the potential for early on crap, but that the name alone would go far with the chicks in college.

I think Griff will inspire awe, but we shall see.

You aren't Scottish, are you? McGriff could have a career in law enforcement...

180px-McGruff.jpg

Well, if you don't wanna go with Gryzzyphon, I'd at least change the spelling to Griffin or Griffon. I know firsthand how much crap you can get as a kid if you have a name that is hard or unfamiliar to pronounce during roll call (you wouldn't think that "Evan" would be difficult, but more people than not read it as "Yvonne" or "Even"). I can see it now---every new roll call, they yell out "Gry-fahn". Griffin, OTOH, is easy to figure out, and he runs much less of a chance of getting cracked on by his peers if he's not expressly/obviously named after a mythical creature.

Evan! said:
Well, if you don't wanna go with Gryzzyphon, I'd at least change the spelling to Griffin or Griffon. I know firsthand how much crap you can get as a kid if you have a name that is hard or unfamiliar to pronounce during roll call (you wouldn't think that "Evan" would be difficult, but more people than not read it as "Yvonne" or "Even"). I can see it now---every new roll call, they yell out "Gry-fahn". Griffin, OTOH, is easy to figure out, and he runs much less of a chance of getting cracked on by his peers if he's not expressly/obviously named after a mythical creature.

That is the kind of answer I was looking for. (although Gryzziphin to yall B!tches was kind of endearing)

I like both Griffin and Gryphon, but not Gryffin. My son will be 4 months on saturday. I know what your going through second guessing a name. Its tough to feel confident with your decision.

I have some friends that named their son Ignatius. They call him Iggy. Yeah, he's going to get a lot of crap in school, but when he hits his late teens, he'll be the coolest ever. I too don't want any of these recently popular names for my kids. Either some old school classics, or some unique and cool-sounding ones. I say just leave it as is. Later he'll be happy to have something unique like that for a name.

Btw we're happy with our son's name Sullivan. We call him Sully and Van. We will switch to just Van when he gets older.

I like it the way it is. It's a cool name. The family will get used to it; it's not like you named him Sue.

rdwj said:
I like it the way it is. It's a cool name. The family will get used to it; it's not like you named him Sue.
+1, We named our son Chase. Not an uncommon name by any stretch but not very common round these parts. My parents didnt care for it at first but it grew on them and they really like it now. Plus the name suites him.

cheezydemon said:
honestly I loved the nickname "Griff" and my wife loved Gryphon.

Personally I like Crime Dog better. To each his own.

On a more serious note. Personally, I don't like the name. But who gives a crap what I think? Or anyone else for that matter? Go with what your gut tells you. 90% of the time it will be right.

Just call him Kid, but say it out like "Kay Eye Dee" and roll it into one word (kay-EYE-dee) say it a few times it becomes natural. It sounds original, and will be easy for him to spell when he starts school, plus, you can confuse teachers when you tell them they arn't pronouncing "Kid" correctly:D

My daughter's name is Hava, pronoucned Hayva. Her middle name is Corinne so it's a good standby if she gets tired of correcting people too much.

deathweed said:
Just call him Kid, but say it out like "Kay Eye Dee" and roll it into one word (kay-EYE-dee) say it a few times it becomes natural. It sounds original, and will be easy for him to spell when he starts school, plus, you can confuse teachers when you tell them they arn't pronouncing "Kid" correctly:D

You're kidding right? That's like naming your black lab ... "black dog."

Giving your child a unique name isn't going to make him any more unique than giving him a name that is very common. Remember, it's the person that makes the name, not the other way around. In fact, the more "unique" a name is, the more likely it is to hold him back ... read Freakonomics.

Virtuous said:
I had a friend in elementry school who named his dog that

Wow, and here i was thinking I was all original. Just goes to show that no matter what it is, someone somewhere has done/thunk it before:D

How about Grisham? I do like Griffen though.

If you like it F'em. Like others said it they'll get used to it sooner or later. My inlaws didn't like their sons naming their grand-kid "Braden" so they call him Brady. Not a big deal.

I once knew somebody who's last name was Davidson. They named their kid Harley Davidson.

Its not like you are doing something out landish. Griffen is cool.

Bah, if you like Gryphon, so be it. Griff is cool. I say run with it, and damn the torpedoes. :rockin:

Before my eldest was born there weren't many boys named "Ian". Now they're friggin everywhere, and curiously, all around the same age... :confused:

I did screw with things a little bit when he was born tho. His middle name is "Matthieu". It flowed nicely, and I stole the spelling out of a series of books by Julian May.

I'm hoping he reads the books and appreciates it some day.

Of course we may get drunk together some day in the future and he'll tell me what an asshat I was for spelling his middle name in some quasi-french-canadian dialect.... :drunk:

Ize

He's your kid. Just because a few family members are a bit peeved about it doesn't mean you should go through all the hassle of changing his name. I personally like the name Gryphon and you both obviously loved the name to begin with. I say stick with it and if family members have a problem with it they can come up with their own nickname for him. :mug:

Check this out... If you call him Griff, why not have THAT be his name? I don't really understand the concept of using a name, deciding it's a "nickname" and then having to figure out the "official" version. If it's Griff, then it's Griff, period.

I'm Bobby, but my BC says Robert. WTF is it then? If you wanted to call me Bobby, why did you write Robert?

I think the bigger inconvenience for a kid is picking an official name who's spelling is totally aphonetic (is that a real word? Not Phonetic). It's not really all that cute having to spell your first name every single time.

Excellent answers to be sure...(except that the crime dog was MCGRuFF, not actually very similar, thanks anyways)

Thanks for the input.

Gryphon is fine in my book. I'm even pretty critical of other people's kids' names at times (well, who isn't?). I know a couple of Gryphons - spelled that way. I think it's somewhat original without stepping too far out of the realm of "conformity." Griff is a nice nickname, and Gryphon has an air of mystique and sophistication. Stick with it, and don't worry about the family's opinions.

Gryphon is fine in my book. I'm even pretty critical of other people's kids' names at times (well, who isn't?). I know a couple of Gryphons - spelled that way. I think it's somewhat original without stepping too far out of the realm of "conformity." Griff is a nice nickname, and Gryphon has an air of mystique and sophistication. Stick with it, and don't worry about the family's opinions.
+1

Thanks Yuri. His name stayed.
Good for you, unless your family is raising him and paying his bills.. They have no say, If you and your wife are happy thats all that counts.. My family wasn't happy with my daughter's name it was simple translated well into Japanese (my wife is Japanese) and she has my wife's maiden name as her middle name (so on her Japanese passport she drops her last name and has instant Japanese name

Back