Kick in the Mouth - Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boo-urns

Reaction score
So I brewed my first beer an Irish red extract kit from midwest. Dang is it good however I'm running out! ha.

Anyway I was wondering why it seems that the first taste of the beer is kind of like a kick in the mouth, then after that it is smooth on to the bottom of the glass.

1 week primary
2 weeks secondary (read after I transfered secondary isn't needed unless dry hopping / adding)
3 weeks bottle

Now its been around 6 weeks total in bottle, definitely smoother now.

Any thoughts?

That could be I did NOT use a bottle filler oops just poured it straight into the bottles. D'oh

Puring the beer into bottle does increase the chance for oxygenation, but that doesn't give it a kick - that gives it a wet cardboard taste that just gets worse over time. This batch may not last as long as it would have had you not done this, but that's not causing your taste.

You could be describing "carbonic bite" - your beer may be just a hair overcarbed, and that first sip is full of CO2, giving you a bitter shock. As the beer warms, CO2 releases, and this goes away. Try letting it sit for a bit when you pour and see if you get the same kick.

You could also just have beer that is a touch green. You mention that six weeks in bottles has made it better - it may very well keep getting better for a while. Lots of vets here lament that the best bottle of a batch is often the last one. :)

Next time, maybe bulk age (primary or secondary) for a little longer before you bottle, and see if that helps.

Regardess, it sounds like you have beer. :mug:

Homebrewdad - Yea I'm a newbie to brewing. It doesn't have the cardboard taste. Ill have to let the next one sit. Only have a few bottles left. I do agree with others closer to the end of the batch it gets better!

JeffoC6 - I love the simpsons! Plus my last name is Burns

I agree with the carbonic bite and i was thinking this until i finally read it in a response.Its almost like a bittering effect or harshness some condtioning and chill time may help as well as warming it and letting it sit a bit before drinking.Some conditioning and( lagering or fridge time) can help and usually will for the better anyway. Im just saying this from my consistent experience always seing the evoultion happen in each beer i make throughout time.I always feel every beer from every indiviual batch tastes similar but never exactly the same at least as far as pulling them from conditioning to the fridge over time continuously.

Thanks jonmohno. The last bottles i'll put in the fridge and put a do not drink sign on them! Otherwise i'll be tempted!

Back