Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
Another question Why can I not use an aluminum pot to boil my wort. I think I saw people on youtube using aluminum to boil wort. What about an enameled pot?
Thanks
Mike

Not using aluminum for a BK is news to me ;). My eBIAB setup is centered around my aluminum kettle.

There is no problem using aluminum. There are just a couple of precautions that have to be taken when using aluminum though. First, before using it for the first time you need to build up an aluminum oxide layer on the surface. To do this boil water in it for about 5 minutes, until the surface becomes darker. Second, do not use anything abrasive to clean the kettle, or use cleaners such as OxyClean or PBW, lest you remove the aluminum oxide layer you created.

Oh, good. Due to the complaints of the other occupants of my house, I have to brew outside. This means I have to use a turkey fryer, whose enormous pot is made out of aluminum. The fact that I can use it removes a great obstacle in my homebrewing Odyssey.

And an enameled pot is fine if it's big enough, but keep a sharp look out for chips in the enamel. When it gets chipped, you won't want to use it for brewing any more (but mine lasted me for > 12 years).

-a.

Latest posts

Back