Kettle to fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MgMt_Home_Brew

Reaction score
So I brewed a maple syrup dark ale kit last night from extract. My issue is I still have not nailed down my process for transfering from my kettle to my primary while still leaving all the hot/cold break. Last night I was kind of in a rush and a little :drunk: so I just poured from high up and pretty much everything in the kettle went into my primary. So the questions are:

-Is having all of this hot/cold break and pellet hops in my primary going to be an issue for off flavors?

-If so should I rack to a secondary (I typically don't but I usually dont have all this crud in my fermenter)?

I planned on leaving this guy in the primary for about 4 weeks and then going to keg for 2 more weeks under pressure.

I can't say for sure, but the last extract kit I used was for Kolsch and included pellet hops. I didn't use a hop bag and i didn't strain or secondary it. Had it in the primary for three weeks and virtually ALL of the floaties went to the bottom of the fermenter. Bottled it this past weekend and didn't notice any difference from others that I had used whole hops with a hop bag.

Hope that helps

Yeah I mean this is my 7th batch and I never really did much as far as straining the hops out but I would usually leave a little in the bottom of the kettle where most of the stuff is but this time I didn't...

Should I just RWDAHAHB??

Latest posts

Back