Kettle Souring!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShowPonyBrewing

Reaction score
I want to try kettle souring but I don’t have a heating element to keep it warm for multiple days like most recipes call for. Does anyone know if you will get the same results by just waiting a bit longer being stored at room temp instead?

If you use goodbelly you can pitch at like 90 then let it drop naturally and get a good sour in 24 and a super sour in 48

Ya I don’t have one. If I’m gonna spend money I’ll go for a heating element but trying to see if I can do it without first.

Ya I don’t have one. If I’m gonna spend money I’ll go for a heating element but trying to see if I can do it without first.

If you go that route get a sous vide. No only can you maintain brew temps for kettling, but you can also impress the ladies: grandma, mom, girlfriend, wife, wife's sister, mistress, neighbor-lady, etc.

A pitch of L. plantarum plus room temp (above 70°F) for a few days is perfectly fine.

The bacteria work faster as the temperature goes up, which helps reduce risk of contamination ... Anything you can use to apply a steady heat up into the 80s will help speed up the process if desired.

I suggest pre-acidification to pH 4.0-4.5, which will help prevent infection and help with head retention.

I have a 6 gal glass carboy that hold heat pretty well especially if wrapped in a blanket or similar. R there any issues with racking the souring wort into the carboy to keep warm while souring and then back to my kettle for the boil? I’d of course clean/sanitize the carboy again since it would also be used as my Fermentor for the sour. Also is there any preference over using fruit to ferment with during primary vs second fermentation?

Back