Kettle Sour PH levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello all

I recently attempted my first kettle soured Berliner. It's currently in the fermenter on sac. I used 5335 for the kettle sour and after 3 days could not get the PH level below 4.

Any thoughts on getting the PH level where it needs to be and what a Berliner with a PH of 4 will taste like?

5335 doesn't get super low pH levels, its a milder LAB. Your beer will probably taste just fine, in fact it will likely be closer to what a German BW is like. Americans tend to sour them well beyond the original style and make tooth melters (which is just fine, btw). A good traditional berliner is tart and tangy, not bracing sour. Also remember your pH is going to drop a little more with fermentation. As long as the wort didn't smell like pukey diapers in a hot trash can, before you boiled it, you are good to go. If it still isn't tart enough for you after fermentation is over, consider adding frozen raspberries to it, the natural acidity of the razz will increase the pucker flavor (plus taste/smell/look amazing)

Back