Kettle sour fruit beer... after adding fruit to secondary went from 1.010 to 1.022 after 7 days ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

So I made my first kettle sour... went pretty good but my fermentation took about 3-4 days to start. First time I have such a lag. I used Wyeast 1010 American Wit no starter.

Anyway after about 15 days the beer was now 1.010 and very tasty... just sour enought. It was now time to add my frozen Honeyberries and rack to the secondary. I used 2.5lbs that I reduced into a puree. The color of the beer is perfect.

After about 7 days I didnt get any visible fermentation and the gravity is now 1.022 because of the fruit sugars that the yeast didnt consume....

The taste isnt bad... since its my first sour fruit beer its hard to tell.

Usually the gravity should go lower because of the fruits no or its all good ?

Should I let my filled keg at room temperature for a couples days ?

Thanks for your help

I agree it sounds like the fruit hasn't fermented. I would pitch some fresh yeast and hope for the best. A pre-soured beer like this is rough on the yeast, so fermentation is usually sluggish.

A modern method is to allow the Lacto to sour the beer along with the yeast fermentation:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sour_beer
Hope this helps!

I agree it sounds like the fruit hasn't fermented. I would pitch some fresh yeast and hope for the best. A pre-soured beer like this is rough on the yeast, so fermentation is usually sluggish.

A modern method is to allow the Lacto to sour the beer along with the yeast fermentation:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sour_beer
Hope this helps!

I will read this definitly ! Next time I will do a starter... I have been affraid that the fermentartion was never going to happen but this one is already kegged... should still a good beer with a fruity taste.

OR

I put some dry yeast into the keg and let the fermentation carb up the beer in the keg... it is still possible ?

Going from 1.022 to 1.010 will it make a bomb ? lol

I guess if you think it tastes good the way it is, I would just drink it as-is.

If you would rather dry it out, I believe you would need a spunding valve to ferment that much sugar in a keg. I would rehydrate the yeast before pitching.

Back