Kettle Size Sanity Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been struggling with what size kettle makes the most sense so I thought I'd ask for input from the forum.

I mostly brew 10G batches but want to have capacity for 15G batches with a 90 minute boil on occasion. That boil volume exceeds what my 20G kettle can safely do so it's time to upgrade.

The question is; do I jump to 30G or meet in the middle with a 25/26G kettle? My knee jerk is for the 30G but I'm concerned that might be overkill for my usual 10G batches. (volume may be at or below thermometer port...)

Thoughts?

Of course that's too simple of a solution for me... :p I've been thinking I'd make the 20G an HLT by popping a sight glass into the port currently used as a whirlpool inlet. Guess I could 86 that idea and keep both setup as boil or HLT depending on batch size... That way I could do a 20G batch if the need ever arose. See, I just needed that grounded comment to set me back on track.

Do at least 25. The 30 gives you flexibility to do longer boils or maybe even 20 gallon batches sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for helping me nail down the practicality of going with the 30G. It will give me more options, especially if I dual purpose my 20G. Heck, I might find I'm okay with 10G batches in a 30G kettle so I donr have anything to loose other than ~1245 cubic inches storage space! :D

Back