Kettle Repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronking0118

Reaction score
One of my brew kettles got a crack in the side of it... any ideas on how to patch this?! It's a 10 gallon Blichmann G2 kettle.

Attachments

• kettle1.jpg
    kettle1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • kettle2.jpg
    kettle2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Blichmann doesn't have a warranty to cover that?

Otherwise, I would find a local TIG welder to weld the crack shut.

Assuming you can weld a seam.. or get someone to do it that is the best option..

I know the there is a product out there similar to the steel stick, that is potable water safe, and can handle higher temps.. I think I would knock it back as close to original, rough up the outside and throw some of that on it. Looks like up near the handle? https://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-WaterWeld-White-Epoxy-Adhesive/3389026

Failing that there is always Duct Tape, or that aluminum flashing tape.. I would stay away from bubble gum as it might introduce flavors...

How did that happen?

JB weld is supposed to be non-toxic when cured and can withstand temps up to 500F. I think welding it would be better though.

Last edited:
Kinda scary, ainnit? The G2s are deep-drawn and totally seamless.
Seeing a split like that would freak me out if I owned any of those...

Yeah it sucks that an expensive kettle like that would have issues, maybe Blichmann will take it back.

It kinda looks like it was squashed in some way and split on that specific point. Figuring that it's physical damage, voiding the warranty.

Blichmann kettles are pretty thin but I would clamp it up with an aluminum block behind it as a heat sink and oxygen shield and have at it with the TIG. I would take the job but I wouldn't guarantee success. You don't have your location listed so I don't know if NJ is close enough for you to make shipping practical.

How did that happen?

JB weld is supposed to be non-toxic when cured and can withstand temps up to 500F. I think welding it would be better though.
I'm curious, too, how that happened.

The problem with epoxies and such is their adhesion properties (sticking to other surfaces) are limited, and not so good, IME.
They don't fare well placed under stress either.

Yup, real welding (perhaps soldering) would be the better solution. It should prevent the crack from extending too.

But first of all, try a warranty claim. If I were a "manufacturer" I would want to know of failures, unless I knew. ;)
Once you start tinkering with it, most warranty claims will be automatically voided.

Agreed - on both counts. Butt joining is TIG stuff, not soldering.
And forget cements or epoxies like "JB Weld" - who'd want that in their beer, never mind risking a mid-brew breach (yikes!)
That kettle needs welding - or scrapping. There's no other option that makes sense/is safe...

Cheers!

If TIG welding won't work, perhaps it could be brazed by a skilled professional welder?

Personally, I'd contact Blichmann first to see what's what before I attempted any home repairs though.

I have no idea how it happened. Was prepping for a brew day and pulled kettles off of their storage shelf ( 3 kettles all the same, all purchased together, stored together, handled the same way, etc). Trust me, these are pricey, and I treat them accordingly. Went to prep the mash tun and saw the crack. No ideas how or why, but I definitely applaud Blichmann for their speedy customer service!

Right then. Had to be stress-related, and it was only a matter of time before it failed - rather spectacularly.
Luckily, didn't split while it was in service. That would have been a hell of a thing to deal with. Woof.

Many years ago I had an extended email conversation with John Blichmann and - engineer to engineer - found him to be a pretty cool person. I'm totally not surprised they made things right here. I drive three 20 gallon G1s he personally made happen for me and I'll always regard him well for that...

Cheers!

Back