Kettle, plate chiller, wanting to do it right and looking for practical advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CthulhuDreaming

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some advice from experienced brewers.

I'm able to do some upgrades for my brew setup, and as part of that effort, I'm going to be adding a plate chiller and wort pump. I'll either be using my current 9 gallon kettle, but I'm seriously considering upgrading to a keggle for boiling wort.

As I've never used a pump or plate chiller in my process, I've done a lot of reading on the howtos and whyfors, and I think I've worked up a system that has all but one problem solved: Keeping hops and other particulate matter from getting trapped inside my chiller.

I currently use hop bags, and certainly could continue to do so, but I find them to be a bit of a PITA and I feel that there's got to be a better solution.

I'm aware of plenty of possible alternative - false bottom w/dip tube, bazooka screen, hop spider, tea infusion balls. I'd like get it right the first time, and I'm looking for some practical advice from other brewers who have solved the problem and are happy with their solution.

What do you think would be the best solution given these criteria:

* Primary objective is to prevent clogging the chiller.
* Also important is to allow the kettle to drain freely, prevent breaking the siphon and/or causing the pump to cavitate.
* Ease of use, cleaning and sanitation is very important, secondary only to function.
* Solution should be robust, and as failsafe as possible.
* I prefer leaf hops, but need the option to use pellets. Sometimes you just don't have a choice.
* Solution should allow for maximum efficiency in hop extraction.
* I prefer a solution that doesn't require consumables (such as hop bags), though this is not a requirement. I'd rather spend money on durable equipment than consumables for environmental reasons, and there's also potential cleaning/sanitary concerns when bags are reused.
* Boil kettle is directly heated with a typical propane burner, and is fitted with a full 1/2" female coupling. The entire system uses 1/2" ID fittings and tubing.

Flexibility to repurpose my BK to a HLT / MLT would be nice.

Cost is not a major concern. I don't mind spending the money now, if it means I get a quality piece of equipment that will be useful for a long time. For example, if that means I need to buy a keggle with a false bottom, I'm willing to do just that. In short, I'd rather spend $200 once than $110 twice to solve the problem.

Being able to scale past 10 gallon batches is not a concern. I do 5 gallon batches and have no dreams, plans, desire, or need scale past 10.

A DIY solution is not preferrred, but is OK as long as it doesn't require special tools or skills. I'm partially disabled and have limits as to what I can do in the DIY department.

So - put yourself in your shoes, and based on your personal brewing experience - if you wanted to make sure you did it right the first time, what would your recommendation be?

Back