kettle mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullstop22

Reaction score
I have a recipe that says to mash in your kettle at 131 ramp slowly to 148 it says this should take at least an hour longer is better. Then quickly boost to 168,transfer to lauter tun.The question is ...... how long do you leave it in tun?

Also, are you slowly ramping the temp between 131 and 148 over an hour? If so, I hope you're looking for a very dry beer. Usually people do the protein rest at 131 and then step up to their sacc rest (typically between 150-158) at a rate of ~ 2'/min, and then rest there for 30-60 mins.

This is a Westmalle Tripel clone . It in fact says several hours to ramp to 148. I now have it fermenting (5 days so far) I took an hour to get to 148. This is my first AG, hit my OG on the button needless to say I was pleased with my copper manifold in the tun also my my diy cfc boiling to 60 degrees in short order. A hugh THANKS to all here for the great ideas& info

Back