Kettle insulation for us BIABers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time don't touch it, every time you mess with the mash it allows more heat to escape.

The mash was actually left alone and lid left on; the temps were observed w/ the kettle thermometer on the side.

I'm wondering if maybe the drop is not uniform though, and there are cold/hot spots, and if doing a stir at the end and checking temp would have shown less of a total temperature loss.

I used the same type of insulation and I was able to get a full rolling boil with just a 2400 W canning element, and during the mash, I would only loose about 3 to 4 degrees. I may try what others have done and add a few layers. I made sure that I kept the bottom of the insulation about 2 inches from the bottom to avoid melting the insulation. Was that necessary? ...because I did leave it on during the boil.

2013-07-08-18.30.07.jpg

Any thoughts on whether or not either of these options on amazon would work well for this purpose? Our would a better deal likely be had at a hardware store? Is there anything in particular to look for in order to determine if the insulation can handle the heat of the kettle without melting?

Reflectix ST16025 Staple Tab Insulation 16 Inch x 25 ft Roll https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQSYRO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Reflectix DW1202504 Spiral Duct Wrap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQMV0A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Either of those will work. Heat proof insulation is a completely different ball game. Some have used a mineral wool product, it is neither easy or inexpensive, hence my recommendation is an old blanket or winter coat. Not glamorous, but effective.

Cheers!

My kettle insulation is extremely low tech. Once I get mashed in, I put the lid on and then take one of my kid's sleeping bags and slip it over the kettle and burner so that the closed end of the bag ends up on the lid of the kettle, kinda like a big sock. The first time I did this there was some concern that the burner would still be hot enough to melt the sleeping bag, but so far I haven't had any problems. I typically lose 2 degrees over a 60-75 minute mash. Probably helps that my 10 gallon kettle is usually pretty close to maxed out on space by the time I get all the grain mashed in, so there's not a lot of dead space to lose heat.

Four layers of reflectix all the way around and on the top. Very effective for my 10 gallon BIAB setup (25 gallon SS kettle). Full volume mash lost only 1 F during a 60 min mash. Opened at 20 & 40 min to stir and take temps.

Kettle Insulation.JPG

How much temperature loss do you get with a 30 minute mash and no stir?

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't think I'd lose much if any. When I brewed with it, it was outside and in the mid 60's F. I think having 15 or so gallons total helped with maintaining temperature stability.

I won't be brewing for a couple of months, but I will definitely report back with more results. I also do 5 gallon batches occasionally, so I will see if there is any difference.

I do 3 wraps around with reflexit and have self-adhesive velcro strips stuck to it to hold it in place. Easy on, easy off. Holds to within 2F for a 45 min mash including stirring every 15 min. The roll I bought is even the exact same height as my BK so I only had to cut it to length. I brew on my electric cooktop so I can even apply some heat with the wrap on if I want to. I've done direct heat step mashes this way.

Using a single layer of reflectix with the top/lid connected to the side/s by silver tape and one of those big black paper clip things to hold it closed, a 7-8 gallons of water and 11 gallon malt bill loses 1-2* in an hour, 0-1* in a normal 30 minute mash.

It's on the back patio but mostly out of the wind, but it seems to work just fine. Being on a still-hot propane burner helps, but you could probably use an electric stove with the reflectix on if you're careful.

Another solution is to buy a big cooler bag at BJ's. I use it brewing indoors in winter. It cost about 7$ and fits over a 30qt pot. Keeps temps very stable. If you want to add heat it is easily removed and replaced.
Outdoors I use a double wrap of reflectix, placed in a styrofoam cooler from Omaha Steaks.
I generally don't worry about adding any heat, as the conversion occurs pretty fast, and a couple of degrees makes little difference.

I happen to have a cooler bag from the wife goes shopping at bj's. thanks for the idea.

Latest posts

Back