Kettle Drain and Recirculate with Splitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg86

Reaction score
I have a SS Brewtech BME kettle which I have been using for extract and love it, but was wondering if anyone else has done this?

Essentially has the whirlpool port, temp port, and main drain port... My question is this. Is it common practice or reasonable to want to put some type of splitter setup on the main valve port? I will be moving to BIAB and was considering the idea so I can keep my chugger pump connected for whirlpool, but still have a separate valve for sending the finished wort to my fermentor. I hate disconnecting the pump with a full kettle because you almost always spill something on the floor. I'd like to see what other people use so I can use my kettle without ever disconnecting the pump until time to clean up.

Well I guess that solves that... NM see below (accidentally made another post instead of editing this one)

So I looked at the valve you posted, won't work unfortunately... my valve is not threaded into the kettle... I have the 1.5" triclamp with sightglass and 1/2" valve... see picture for reference. For the valve I have would I just need to ditch the included valve, get shorter bolts, and thread the valve where the quick connect / hose barb usually goes?

valve_racking_2048x2048.jpg

So I looked at the valve you posted, won't work unfortunately... my valve is not threaded into the kettle... I have the 1.5" triclamp with sightglass and 1/2" valve... see picture for reference. For the valve I have would I just need to ditch the included valve, get shorter bolts, and thread the valve where the quick connect / hose barb usually goes?

valve_racking_2048x2048.jpg

There's probably a half inch TC 3way ball valve out there you can buy.

Most likely it's dumb question but why should I plan to have two (main and recirculating) ports instead of one (main) and 3 way port ball valve?

Most likely it's dumb question but why should I plan to have two (main and recirculating) ports instead of one (main) and 3 way port ball valve?

This is what I ended up with... On/off valve feeding L type 3 way. This allows me to recirculate / whirlpool on one circuit, then drain to fermentor without having to disconnect anything.

Attachments

• 15174611067831777325666.jpg
    15174611067831777325666.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
Exactly! But most of the "set ups" I have seen for single vessel ebiab has main and recirculating ports and I assume there is a logic (or at least should be) for extra port.

Latest posts

Back